These Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars with Coconut are made with a flaky pie crust topped with a delicious pecan pie filling loaded with chocolate chips and coconut. It's the perfect bar for a holiday get-together or any time of the year for pecan pie lovers!
Make these bite-sized Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars with coconut for your next party and enjoy all of the flavors of a pecan pie but in adorable little squares. They're perfect for a party plate of food! to be honest, I love this recipe because traditional pie slices are such a pain to serve and eat. You are going to love how easy it is to make this pecan pie bars recipe.
Another great reason to try this recipe is that it gives you better portion control. It is so hard to cut a circle pie into small pieces. By using a 9 x 13 pan for this recipe, you can cut one-inch squares and make the perfect bite. If you'd like to have two bites worth of pie, just grab two bars. I love how this treat has all the flavor of pecan pie in one little bite.
More Recipes with Coconut
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars
- Pie Crust - Store-bought or homemade will both work. Set out the crust 15 minutes before you plan to use it.
- Butter - Melted.
- All-purpose Flour - A kitchen stable.
- Sugar - Granulated white sugar.
- Vanilla extract - Use real vanilla extract for pies and not imitation vanilla unless you have a medical reason to switch. It just has better flavor.
- Eggs - Lightly beaten.
- Mini Chocolate Chips - Semi-sweet or milk chocolate will both work.
- Chopped Pecans - Pecans are so yummy in this pie recipe!
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes - Make this recipe extra special by adding sweetened coconut flakes.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars with Coconut
Preheat the oven to 325º F before you begin. Line a 9x13 inch cake pan with parchment paper too, so that it is all ready to go.
Roll out the pie crust into the pan. If you're using a homemade pie crust, try to roll it out into a 9x13 rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Press the pie crust into the bottom of the pan, folding sides where needed. Set aside.
Add the butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in the microwave in 30-second increments. Once the butter is completely melted, add in the flour, sugar, vanilla, and eggs and whisk until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut flakes. Pour the mixture over the pie crust in the prepared pan and spread evenly with an angled spatula.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 39 - 44 minutes or until the pie is set. If it bakes too long, the top will crack. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the chocolate chip pecan pie bars to cool completely, about 2 to 3 hours.
Once cooled, remove the parchment paper from the pan and cut the bars into squares for serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I tell if the pecan pie bars have set?
When a pie has set and is ready to remove from the oven, the middle section has stopped being fully loose and is just a tiny bit jiggly. The outside edges should be nice and firm. Give the pan a little push to see if the filling has set. Do not overbake your pie. It will continue to bake for a little while after you remove it from the oven.
Can chocolate chip pecan pie bars be frozen?
Yes! Go ahead and cut the bars and separate them. Then spread the bars out on a paper towel or cooking sheet in your freezer until they have mostly frozen. Next, transfer the bars to a freezer-quality zipper bag or airtight container. When you need a sugar fix, just pull out one of the chocolate chip pecan pie bars to enjoy.
How do I store leftover pecan pie bars?
Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You will have up to four days before they start to get weepy or separate.
Do pecan pie bars need to be refrigerated?
Yes. Because the pecan pie filling is made with eggs and dairy, leftovers should be refrigerated until it is fully consumed. You can make your pies ahead, but they should be stacked on a pie keeper in the fridge.
When are pecan pie bars ready to cut?
Try to let the pecan pie bars cool completely before you cut the bars. Otherwise, they may be runny in the middle. You can set the pan on a cooling rack for a few minutes to finish setting and then place it in the refrigerator or outside on a screened-in porch to finish cooling down.
I mentioned that screened-in porch idea because we all know how full refrigerators get during the holidays and a table on the back porch is the perfect solution in cold weather climates. Make sure everything is sealed in airtight, hard plastic containers if you choose this option.
More Bar Recipes to Try
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Bars with Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out pie crust into pan. If you're using a homemade pie crust, try to roll it out into a 9x13 rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Press the pie crust into the bottom of the pan, folding sides where needed. Set aside.
- Add the butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments.
- Once the butter is completely melted, add in the flour, sugar, vanilla, and eggs and whisk until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut flakes.
- Pour the mixture over the pie crust in the prepared pan and spread evenly with an angled spatula.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 39 - 44 minutes or until the pie is set. If it bakes too long, the top will crack.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool completely, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Onced cooled, remove the parchment paper from the pan and cut the bars into squares.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)