These Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars are the perfect bar to whip up for shortbread lovers! It has layers of homemade shortbread, caramel, and of course sweet chocolate. This homemade chocolate caramel bars recipe is definitely one to keep on hand for any occasion. Grab some more bar recipes while you're here.
If you are looking for more delicious bar recipes to add to your menu plan, I have a few more to try out. Eggnog Cheesecake bars, easy zucchini bars, no bake dalgona coffee cheesecake bars, or this lemon bar recipe.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
I whipped up these shortbread bars mid-week to break up the night time dessert. The whole family loved these. It reminds me of a Twix caramel bar. All the layers all in one delightful dessert.
How to make Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
Start by creating a shortbread. To your mixing bowl, add the butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. You can mix up your ingredients with a whisk, hand mixer, or even a stand mixer.
Add in the flour and beat until the shortbread cookie dough comes together. It will be crumbly but if pinched together, will hold its shape.
Once it begins to come together, press part of the shortbread into your baking dish and bake as directed.
Then you will work on melting down the caramel with some heavy cream. Once it's melted, pour it on top of the baked shortbread crust. Sprinkle the top of the caramel layer with the chocolate chips.
Top the chocolate caramel bars with the remaining shortbread cookie dough. I like to do this by scooping out the dough with a cookie scoop so they're all about the same size balls, roll them between my palms, and gently press them into a flat, round disc.
Place the bars back in the oven to finish baking.
The full recipe is in the printable recipe card below.
How to store Chocolate Caramel Bars
With you leftover chocolate caramel bars you can leave them on the counter for up to 5 days. Or if you want you can also store these caramel bars in the fridge.
I find they store either route. You will just use what you prefer.
Can you freeze Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
These shortbread bars can be frozen if you would like. I like to slice the bars and then store them in an airtight container.
Then when you want a quick snack just pull one or more from the freezer and allow them to thaw a bit and then enjoy for a quick snack.
How to cut these Caramel Shortbread Bars
Cutting caramel shortbread bars requires a really sharp knife. It will give you a nice clean cut. Just make sure that if your knife gets a little dirty you wipe it off a bit to give yourself a really nice crisp cut.
Can I use Milk Chocolate Chips instead of Semi-Sweet?
So, I reached for semi-sweet chocolate chips but you are more than welcome to use a milk chocolate chip. It will just mellow out the chocolate flavor a bit if you would like it to not be as strong.
Feel free to use any of the chocolate chips that you prefer. I think you can even buy a dark chocolate you could add in as well.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish by with parchment paper and spray it with a nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer on medium until the butter is well combined.
- Gradually add in the flour and beat until all of the flour is added. The shortbread will be crumbly but should hold it's shape when pinched together.
- Take 3-4 cups of the shortbread dough and firmly press it into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the base is set and the edges are golden. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the caramels and heavy cream into a saucepan and stir together on the stovetop until it’s all melted and gooey. Pour the caramel sauce over the cookie base and spread to the edges with an offset spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the top of your caramel layer.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out dough balls from the remaining dough. Roll the dough into a ball and press it flat like a disc. Lay them over your chocolate chip layer allowing them to overlap a little.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Set out at room temperature to cool completely.
- Cut and serve.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)