These are the best zucchini bars! They taste like a moist spice cake with a cream cheese frosting. You’ll find cinnamon, shredded zucchini and carrots, and walnuts in these bars. This is one of the best zucchini recipes I can think of!
The best, folks. I got this recipe from my aunt and I have to tell you these are amazing. My aunt named this recipe literally “the best zucchini bars.” I can’t argue.
It’s healthy too. It has to be. It has zucchini AND carrots. I’m kidding! I know it’s hot healthy. The bar is cinnamony, moist, nutty, and heavenly. The cream cheese frosting I whipped together was the perfect compliment to these bars.
You can see the bits and pieces of shredded zucchini and carrots in it. I think this is why my husband was hesitant to eat them. The man freaks out anytime a vegetable is involved in baking.
I tried to just say that they were spice bars, but that was a big FAIL. The bits of colorful veggie gave it away. So, I’m not sure how many pieces he ate of this, but myself, mom, and my uncle scarfed these zucchini bars with cream cheese frosting right down.
This zucchini bars recipe makes a huge pan of bars! You can serve a large family dessert with this recipe or eat a dozen yourself. Get yourself large jelly roll pan.
If you don’t have a jelly roll pan, I would recommend using two pans but pay close attention that the bars aren’t too thin. They bake up to be about an inch thick. They come to the top of the jelly roll pan when I bake them.
Do I have to add nuts in these zucchini bars? Of course not!
Do I have to use shredded carrots? No. You can substitute the carrots for more zucchini.
Can I leave the cream cheese frosting off of the zucchini bars? Noooo. They’re so good with the frosting.
How to make the best zucchini bars
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp . vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp . cinnamon
- 1 tsp . salt
- 2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/4 tsp . baking powder
- 2 cups zucchini , unpeeled and shredded
- 1 small carrot , shredded
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 8 oz . pkg cream cheese , room temperature
- 1 tsp . vanilla
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Grease a 17x11x1 or 15x10x1 pan.
- In a large bowl, add oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer for 1 to 2 minutes until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir together with a spatula.
- Combined the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer on low until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in the zucchini and carrots and fold carefully.
- Once combined, add in rolled oats and walnuts. Continue to fold in.
- Spread out on prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for 24 minutes. Let cool and frost.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with the hand mixer until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add in vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix on low until the powdered sugar is well incorporated. Turn mixer on high and mix for an additional minute or two.
- Spread on cooled bars.