This chocolate cherry bundt cake is the ultimate recipe for black forest cake lovers. You have a rich, moist chocolate cake with a cherry surprise as you slice into your cake. This black forest bundt cake recipe is then topped with a homemade chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings for an extra touch of decadence! Be sure to check out the rest of my cake recipes too.
Do you love the pairing of chocolate and cherry? If you say yes, know that you are not alone. Black forest bundt cake using cake mix really speeds up the process, and you still get one incredible dessert to serve up. I love to add a pile of whipped cream to the top of my slice and let's not forget the maraschino cherry too.
Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake
I will walk you through how to make a chocolate bundt cake with cherry pie filling. Just scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Even if you are not the best baker this recipe is simple enough, you will find it is easy and rewarding. Let's be honest though, if I can bake it, you can too.
How To Grease A Bundt Pan To Prevent Sticking
When you bake anything in a bundt cake the biggest thing is ensuring your cake comes out without sticking. You can do that by first having a nonstick bundt pan that is well taken care of. I think all of my simple ones have actually come from thrift stores though so I have a few options for you to try if sticking is an issue.
- One trick I have used is spraying the inside with a cooking spray and then adding a light coating of flour.
- Another sort of shortcut to greasing a bundt pan to prevent sticking is grabbing a can of nonstick cooking spray with flour in it.
- The last option to try is melting shortening and brushing it on with a pastry brush.
Just make sure to cover all the nooks and crannies with the cooking spray or shortening including the center piece.
This will help your cake to come right out once it is done being cooked. Nothing is worse than pieces of your cake stuck and you have a less than presentable cake.
Did you know this is also called a tunnel of cherry bundt cake? I bet you can guess why. hint: ⬆⬆⬆
Making a Boxed Cake Taste Homemade
Here is my secret. As you can see this recipe adds ingredients to a boxed cake mix. By doing this you save some time in the kitchen and less prep of measuring out tons of cake ingredients. The boxed cake makes for a great base to this bundt cake.
Adding in the yogurt and pudding mix will help make this go from a classic box cake to what tastes like a homemade cake. Trust me here, it works fantastic.
Can you make chocolate ganache on the stovetop?
Yes! Simmer the heavy cream on the stove just until it’s almost up to a boil. Place the chocolate chips into a bowl, pour the hot cream over the top and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Mix the two together until a nice thick ganache is made.
A lot of people find that chocolate ganache seems to sound hard, but it is insanely easy to make. Plus the drizzle of the ganache on the bundt cake will really elevate the look of your cake and add another layer of chocolate goodness.
How To Decorate A Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake
A little drizzle of chocolate ganache on the sides and top, then you can whip up some homemade whipped topping and pipe on each round piece of the cake. Add on some cherries and a few chocolate shavings and you have one chocolate cake that will take the breath away from whoever you serve it up to.
Craving More Cherry Recipes
- Cherry Cola Layer Cake | Love cherry cokes? Well, if you say yes this layered cake is going to win you over. A rich and moist chocolate cake that is filled with cherry flavor. A cherry frosting that is going to give it a pretty color and tons of flavor.
- Cherry Coconut Macaroons | Talk about a sweet cherry dessert. Coconut and cherry collide in this cherry coconut macaroon recipe. Drizzles of chocolate on top are exactly what is needed to make this a perfect dessert.
- White Chocolate Cherry Bombs | These bite-size cherries are a treat. White chocolate coated maraschino cherry. Great for snacking, birthdays, and even Valentine's Day.
- Easy Cherry Dump Cake | A quick and easy dump cake with simple ingredients including frozen sweet cherries, fresh orange, and a yellow cake mix that requires no mixing bowl.
Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake
- 15.25 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 3.4 ounce box of chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups cherry pie filling
- 1 chocolate bar for garnish
- 2 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet/milk/dark – whatever you prefer
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 cup bundt pan with non-stick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- Add the cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, greek yogurt, oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the cake batter is smooth and well combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared bundt pan and form a well in the middle by pushing the cake batter from the middle up both sides of the bundt pan.
- Quickly spoon the cherry pie filling into the well that was just created. Using a spoon or spatula, spread it out in the well being careful to not let it touch the pan.
- Pour the remaining cake batter on top of the pie filling and carefully spread it across the top to seal the sides of your cake to prevent the pie filling from leaking out.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Place a cooling rack or serving plate on top of the bundt pan and turn the cake out onto the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Place in the microwave and microwave for 30-second intervals and stir after each interval. Repeat until the ganache is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the ganache over the cake and allow it to set.
- Once cooled, top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and maraschino cherries.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Sharon M says
I used a gluten-free chocolate cake mix. It turned out wonderfully. Everyone enjoyed the cake and asked for the recipe.