Chocolate and coffee are together again in this post for mocha cream pie! It's like a chocolate cream pie, but with instant coffee and some NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® creamer thrown in. It's heavenly too. There are so many awesome coffee creamer flavors out, you can't help but want to put them in a dessert.
The pie itself was simple to put together. Even the homemade pudding was simple. It did take some time to thicken up, but there weren't 50 steps to it. That's a plus, right? Oh, and it's amazing with a cup of coffee!
Does anyone else get bored and just go out browsing the stores? By the time the weekend comes around, I'm itching to get out and walk around some stores. It doesn't help that I love to shop even if it's just for groceries. I'll walk around a store for hours just looking and debating on what I want. This time out it happened to be Walmart though I go there a lot. After grabbing up a cart full of Easter supplies, I made my way over to the cooler section and found the new Chocolate Boutique NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® coffee creamers. They have three different flavors in the collection. There's salted caramel, toffee, and café mocha. I've used up most of my café mocha already. 😮
If you use Ibotta, they're offering a .75 cent coupon. I absolutely love Ibotta. A lot of the times they have coupons for generic things like just eggs or milk. Not a specific brand, which I love!
I highly recommend letting the pie sit overnight before cutting it. I tried to cut it the day I made it and though it tastes like a heavenly piece of pie, it came out looking like a cobbled disaster. Be patient, it's worth the prettiness.
Mocha Cream Pie
- 1 + ¼ cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 T . butter melted
- 1 + ½ cups milk
- 1 + ½ cup NESTLÉ® COFFEE-MATE® café mocha
- 4 oz . semi-sweet baking chocolate finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 + ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 + ½ - 2 T. instant coffee
- 3 T . cornstarch
- ¼ tsp . salt
- 2 T . cold butter
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 8 oz . whipped topping thawed
- espresso beans and chocolate curls for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add in the chocolate graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add in the butter and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the butter into the crumb mixture and stir until the crumbs turn to a wet sand consistency. It should hold its shape.
- Press the crumbs into a 9 inch pie plate. Place the crust in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. The edges of the crust should be slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add in the milk, coffee creamer, and chocolate. Place over medium heat and whisk occasionally to help melt the chocolate.
- While the chocolate is melting, add in yolks to a small bowl. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, add in sugar, coffee, cornstarch and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients into the egg yolks and stir to combine.
- Once the chocolate is melted into the milk, add about 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture and start whisking immediately.
- Once the milk and egg mixture are combined and completely incorporated, add the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place the heat over medium/high. Mine was closer to medium. Whisk often until it begins to thicken.
- Once it starts bubbling and becoming thick, whisk constantly to avoid burning. It took mine 30 minutes to thicken completely. It will be quicker if you have the heat higher. The filling will still be pourable.
- Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla and cold butter. Whisk until the butter is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Place in the fridge overnight to cool and set up.
- The next day, add a layer of whipped topping on. Save about ⅓ of the topping and place it in a piping bag with a 1M tip.
- Pipe swirls of topping around the outside of the pie.
- Add a espresso bean to every other mound of whipped topping. Fill the edge closest to the mounds with chocolate girls. Cut and serve.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
I love enjoying my morning cup of coffee with a dash of creamer in a quiet house while checking my business e-mail and working. How do you enjoy your cup of coffee?