Caramel Chex Mix is the perfect mix of salty and sweet to curb your snack cravings. This caramel check mix recipe is loaded with pretzel twists, sweet caramel flavor, Chex, popcorn, and more. If you love snack mixes, give my sweet chex mix recipe a try!
Making homemade snack mixes are always fun. If you are looking for a fun fall-inspired snack mix, whip up this homemade caramel Chex mix.
Caramel Chex Mix
Whip this up for a fun snack for movie night, make for a birthday party or even holiday events. Whenever you choose to serve this up, I am sure it will please. I love the M&M's in it, adds a nice chocolate flavor next to the caramel.
Can I use a bag of microwave popcorn?
Absolutely, you can use microwave popcorn for this recipe. I recommend to buy a plain popcorn, steer clear of butter, as it will add a whole new flavor to the mix. Also, depending on the brand you buy and the size of bags they are will depend on how many bags you need.
8 cups of popcorn on average equals about ¾ a bag of popped popcorn. But if you buy smaller bags, like the single-serve you will need to make an adjustment.
How to make caramel chex mix
Start by preheating your oven, and grease a baking sheet. Then in a bowl with a lid, add in your popped popcorn and pretzels.
Now you will start to make your homemade caramel, all the steps are below. Once the caramel is done, you will pour it over the mixture in the bowl.
Shake or stir and then pour onto the baking dish and cook for 30 minutes, stirring it once.
Then once the mix is done, add on your candies and allow it to cool.
How to make homemade caramel
Making homemade caramel is so easy. You will add your butter and sugar into a saucepan on the stove.
Stir over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it boils, let the pan boil without stirring.
I know this might be hard but resist the urge to stir. Once it has set the five minutes to add the last two ingredients, and stir. It is easy to make homemade caramel!
Can you freeze Caramel Chex Mix?
I wouldn't suggest freezing this caramel Chex mix. The reason being is when it thaws you might find it becomes a little soggy. It would change the flavor and texture quite a bit.
Searching for more snack recipes
- Wasabi and Soy Sauce Trail Mix | An adult trail mix that carries a salty and spicy flavor. Great for packing for that mid-day pick me up when you need something to tickle your tastebuds.
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cereal Bars | These make a great mid-day snack. If you are a lover of peanut butter I highly recommend giving these a try.
- Brownie Batter Dip | Here is a fun dessert dip that is a great one to make and enjoy. Add cookies for dipping in this velvety and creamy dip.
- Cinnamon and Sugar Sweet and Salty Chex Mix | It’s a mix of crackers, nuts, and cereal that’s topped with a sweet and salty glaze and then dusted with cinnamon sugar.
Caramel Chex Mix
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and lightly spray a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add the popcorn, cereal, and pretzels. It's best if you use a bowl with a lid so you can just shake it up for mixing. Mix everything together and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Stir over medium heat until the mixture comes up to a boil.
- Once boiling, let the pan boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the vanilla and baking soda. Mix it all together.
- Quickly pour the caramel mixture into the large popcorn bowl, close the lid and mix everything together. If you don’t have a lid just use a spatula and toss it together. Move quickly as the sauce will harden.
- Pour the snack mix onto your prepared baking sheet and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes, toss everything around and then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once done, spread it out over wax paper or parchment paper on the countertop until it’s cooled.
- Add in the chocolate candies after the mixture is cooled so they don’t melt everywhere. Toss everything together and serve! Store in an airtight container.