With Easter less than a week away, I thought I better get some festive treats up on the blog. My mom and I make a ginormous dinner on Easter and sometimes, it’s just easier to have a simple recipe for dessert. These bars will be a hit. I love to be able to grab a dessert and take it on the run.. or to the living room and onto the couch where I will plant myself for the rest of the day.
I absolutely love the pastels in this cake mix bar. All of the beautiful pastels, bits of crunch from the nonpareils, loads of marshmallows and m&m’s. I think this is one of my husband’s new favorites. I will also have another variation of this cake mix bar that’s more of my favorite later this week.
I’m curious as to what everyone serves at their Easter dinner? We always have a delicious ham, potatoes, gravy, broccoli salad, sweet potatoes, baked beans, fruit salad, dinner rolls, etc. I only say etc. because I’m positive that can’t be all. I normally make a couple pumpkin rolls, but I don’t believe I will this time. Instead, I’m bringing these simple cake mix Easter bars.
What does everyone make for desserts? I guess it all depends with our family. Always pumpkin pie since my love needs one for every holiday. Then sometimes an apple or blueberry pie, sometimes pecan pie. This year it’s a store bought chocolate silk pie courtesy of Marie Callender I do believe, homemade pumpkin pie, and some Easter bars.
Simple Cake Mix Easter Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 1/2 cup M&M's
- Sprinkles to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 7x11 baking pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper and sides with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until it comes together.
- Press the batter into the baking pan. Make sure the batter is evenly spread out. Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until done. The edges should be golden brown and when placing a toothpick into the center of the bar, it should come out clean.
- Place the marshmallows and M&M's on top of the bars. Place back in the oven for 2 minutes. The shells of the M&M's will crack slightly.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with sprinkles. Let it cool completely and then cut the bars to serve. The knife may stick to the marshmallows. To avoid this as much as possible, spray your knife with a little nonstick cooking spray.