This cherry cola layer cake is has a chocolate cherry cola cake, a cherry cola filling, and a maraschino cherry frosting. The cake is so moist and scrumptious. The filling is like a fizzy cherry cola pie filling, and the frosting is every maraschino cherry lover's dream.
This beauty has been sitting in my draft posts for far too long. Cherry cola is one of my favorite beverages so I had to make a cherry cola layer cake to share with you. I couldn't wait to dig into the cake and once I did it was like I was in a chocolate covered cherry heaven.
Oh, and if you don't like maraschino cherries or its juice, this isn't the cake for you. I went bananas with the cherries because I love them.
Cherry Cola Cake from Scratch
If you're searching how to make a cherry cola cake from scratch, you're in the right place. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it doesn't require a stand mixer or a hand mixer. You can easily whisk this recipe together and have it work perfectly. Of course, if you want to use a hand mixer, that works great as well!
I like to begin by adding all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine them. The dry ingredients include flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, add in the cherry cola, vegetable oil, and sour cream. Whisk until there are no lumps. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and maraschino cherry juice. Whisk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth cherry cola cake batter.
Pour the batter into 3 greased and floured pans and bake at 350 degrees until done. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 - 15 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
Cherry Cola Filling
I have to admit that I got a little creative for my husband on this one, but I absolutely love this cherry cola filling. If it doesn't sound like your kind of filling either, make a double batch of the maraschino cherry frosting to fill the cake with or maybe even some milk chocolate ganache.
To make this cherry cola filling, start by adding sugar and cornstarch into a saucepan. Whisk it together to help avoid lumps of cornstarch when liquid is added.
Whisk in the cherry juice, cherry cola, and sliced cherries. Let it come up to a boil and boil for about 4 to 5 minutes until it's thick. Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Cover it with a plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours. I recommend making this the day before so it's ready when the cake is cooled.
Maraschino Cherry Frosting
This frosting is SO pretty and tastes like a great big maraschino cherry. I love it. To make the frosting, I beat the butter, vanilla extract, maraschino cherry juice, and powdered sugar together until it's creamy. Then I'll turn the hand mixer to high and beat another minute so the frosting is a whipped consistency.
You can add a cherry extract to the frosting, but I didn't have any on hand and didn't feel like I need to go buy some. It's up to what you prefer. I would start with about ½ teaspoon and add more if needed.
What kind of cherry cola should I use?
I used Cherry Pepsi BUT Cherry Coke or any other cherry cola should work as a substitute. I haven't tried to myself, but the sugar levels in all the colas should be pretty comparable to each other.
Where can I get those cola gummies?
I got mine at Walmart, but you can get them HERE on Amazon too.
More Maraschino Cherry Desserts:
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
- Cherry Coconut Macaroons
- Cherry Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
- Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cherry Cola Layer Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 3 T. Cherry Pepsi
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maraschino cherry juice
Cherry Cola Filling
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 cup Cherry Pepsi
- 1 cup maraschino cherries sliced
- 2 cups butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Stemmed Maraschino Cherries patted dry
- Cola Gummies
Cherry Cola Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Place a square of parchment paper in the middle of the pan and spray the tops of the parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combined and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the Cherry Pepsi, vegetable oil, and sour cream. Whisk until the sour cream is smooth.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and maraschino cherry juice. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth. You can use a hand mixer also.
- Divide the batter into the three 9-inch cake pans. I wrapped my pans with Wilton's even bake strips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until they're done. Place a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean or with moist crumbs it's done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Cherry Cola Filling
- In a medium saucepan, add in the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk to combine. This will help prevent lumps of cornstarch.
- Whisk in the cherry juice, Cherry Pepsi, and sliced cherries.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil for 5 minutes until thick, stirring constantly. The filling will become clear rather than milky looking.
- Place in a bowl and cover. Chill in the fridge
Maraschino Cherry Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cherry juice. Beat on low until most of the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Turn hand mixer to medium and beat until the cherry frosting is creamy.
- To make whipped frosting, beat on high for an additional minute.
- Lay the first layer of cake on a cake plate.
- Add the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip.
- Pipe a ring of frosting on the edge of the cake and add half of the cherry cola filling.
- Add the next layer of cake and repeat piping and filling.
- Add on the top layer of the cake and use the spatula to go around the dam to smooth it out.
- Spread the frosting evenly on the cake until it's smooth.
- Pipe stars using the 1M tip on the top and bottom of the cake.
- Add the cherries and cola gummies to the piped stars.
- Store in the fridge.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Sandra Garth says
I love this flavor combo and I could swim in that yummy filling!
Hi from the UK 🙂 I've just subscribed and I'm looking forward to baking with lots of your recipes, I can't wait 😀 can I just ask what us maraschino juice? Do we have this in the UK? Xx
Julie Briones says
This is so pretty, and I would love to try this Cherry Cola cake! Did you see one of the most recent Hallmark Valentine's movies, where she does a cherry cola cupcake? Totally had to hop on over here when I saw your thumbnail on Thursday Fave Things! Please join us at Homestyle Gathering each week! We would LOVE to have you!
Create With Joy says
Thanks for sharing this amazing cake at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy, Miranda -
I'm so happy to feature you this week at our party!
Happy Easter to you!
Angie | Fiesta Friday says
That's a beautiful cake! Thanks for sharing with Fiesta Friday Link Party.
How yummy does this cake look? Yes, please! Sharing! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! We hope you will join us again next week!
Helen at the Lazy Gastronome says
That is a beautifully moist cake - Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party.
Jhuls | The Not So Creative Cook says
I know someone who would love this. Such a pretty looking cake! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party! I hope you get to visit other partygoers as well! Have a lovely weekend!?
The Girl Next Door says
That's one beautiful cake all right! I can say it tasted absolutely delicious too. 🙂
Rhonda Gales says
Your cake looks delicious. I just want to stick my finger in it through the screen. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.
Miz Helen says
This is a beautiful cake, I sure wish I could have a slice right now! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us soon!
Linda on Poinsettia Drive says
I'm on a diet but I want this! Looks amazing. I'm going to have make this cake.
Linda Tailford says
Easy to make and delicious. Granddaughter LOVES anything cherry so had to make. Doesn’t look as pretty as yours however 😁