Chocolate zucchini brownies with chocolate frosting. The chocolate lovers dream. These brownies are incredibly tender and fudgy. They are some of my favorite brownies to eat. That rich, thick layer of chocolate frosting is like heaven. There's nothing like a decadent brownie that you can sneak some fresh garden zucchini in!
A couple of Friday's ago, we went to a local dirt track and got the whole VIP treatment. There was finger food and brownies! Two trays of brownies to be exact. Chocolate brownies with.. you guessed it! Chocolate frosting. This is what got me on the kick of brownies and frosting. I've been cutting back like crazy this past year and now I'm making up for it. I'm still struggling to maintain, but I had to satisfy the craving.
Zucchini Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp . chocolate extract optional
- 2 T . milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Shred the zucchini into a liquid measuring cup until you reach 2 cups. Then press down the zucchini as much as it will go and pour out any juice that forms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and then spray that with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the vegetable oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix with a hand mixer for 2 minutes on high.
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg. Beat until incorporated.
- Add in the shredded zucchini and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour and baking soda. Then dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared 9x13 pan.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 38 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter, cocoa powder and chocolat extract. Mix with a hand mixer until incorporated.
- Add in the milk and powdered sugar and beat on low. Once the powdered sugar is mostly incorporated, turn mixer on high and let it beat for an additional 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread the chocolate frosting onto the cooled brownies. Cut and serve.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Check out 8 Ways To Defeat the Garden Zucchini Army
by Miranda at Mode