I have two last minute recipes for your Thanksgiving dessert spread. Today I have these spiced pumpkin parfaits are tangy and spicy. The whipped cream has a bit of greek yogurt making it slightly tart. Then there's the pumpkin filling that's loaded with spice and booze!
I'm such a ginger fanatic. Between the gingersnaps and the crystallized ginger on top, I'm in heaven. It can have a hint of heat which I'm all for, but it is balanced out with the whipped cream. Maybe a month and a half ago, I made a ginger simple syrup. I then slurped up the simple syrup before I could make anything out of it. It was so spicy and amazing. The only thing that drives me crazy are the strings on the root when you grate it.
I also made a pumpkin pie cheesecake that I can't wait to post tomorrow. I still need to get photos shot, edited and the post wrote. Sounds like a full day of work for tomorrow!
I've been trying to play catch up all month so it stinks that I'm a little delayed posting my Thanksgiving recipes, but there are a ton of people looking for last minute desserts, right? Gosh I really hope so!
It's been a crazy month. Apparently I've taken too many weekends off. The weekend of the 6th we went to visit my parents to celebrate my dad's and my birthday. The following weekend the hubby and I celebrated my birthday on the actual weekend ti is with dinner and a movie without the child. I loved every single minute of it. Now this coming weekend I'll be staying at my parents while Wesley comes back home for a couple of days to work. My mom and I like to get our Christmas shopping on while my dad watches Lucian. I don't see next month being any better, but I do have some killer giveaways in store for you!! They'll be hosted on Instagram, but I'll let you know in an actual post.
Did I mention I found this recipe out of the new book I bought, food with friends by Leela Cyd. I really like the book. It has some unique ingredients. Some I even had to look up to find out what they were. Like this recipe calls for Cointreau. I didn't have and couldn't find it, so I went went triple sec. Triple sec did the job nicely too.
Spiced Pumpkin Parfaits
- 2 tsp . unflavored gelatin 1 pkg
- ¼ cup triple sec
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree 15 oz. can
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup + 2 T. granulated sugar divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- 4 pasteurized egg whites
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 T. powdered sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups gingersnaps crushed
- 2 T. finely chopped candied ginger
- Add the gelatin and triple sec into a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place the small bowl into a bowl of warm water for about 2 minutes until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Leave the gelatin in the warm water and continue to work on the custard.
- In a medium saucepan, add in the pumpkin, heavy cream, ½ cup granulated sugar, egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Whisk until incorporated.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Add the gelatin mixture into the bowl of pumpkin. Whisk until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill until completely cooled.
- Once the pumpkin custard is cooled, add the egg whites into a clean bowl. Beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold one-third of the egg whites into the pumpkin custard to lighten it up.
- Add in the next one-third and carefully fold it in.
- Add the last third of the egg whites and carefully fold it until smooth.
- In a bowl, add in the heavy cream, Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and salt. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- In five dishes, add layers of gingersnaps, pumpkin custard, and whipped cream. Repeat a second layer. Top with crumbs and chopped candied ginger.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)