This decadent double chocolate banana bread is packed full of two of my favorite flavors! It is slightly dense and very moist. It’s a quick bread that’s perfect any time of the year. I adore the shiny top and how the chocolate chips sit on top of the bread.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
You’ll find that with a lighter, more fluffy bread, the chocolate chips will sink into the bread and maybe even to the bottom. It drives me batty when that happens too. I’ve tried coating my chocolate chips in flour and that never helps me.
I’ve tried the flour tip with some cake recipes too. Pound cake is pretty much the only kind of cake that it works on for me. If it works for you with a cake, please tell me your secrets.
This extra chocolaty banana bread is an adaption of my chocolate chip banana bread that I’ve made. Banana bread is so versatile. I think I’ve done a banana rum bread, extreme banana nut bread, and even a strawberry banana bread. I’m thinking of a fluffernutter banana bread should be happening next. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.
Banana bread is one of my favorite recipes to make because it’s so simple! It uses up old brown bananas and can be whipped together with a spatula. Let’s not forget how amazing it tastes warmed up with some butter slathered on it either.
I made this recipe for a #choctoberfest post. This week myself and a ton of other bloggers are getting our chocolate on with loads of recipes. I’m still trying to figure out which recipe I should make for my second post. I have so many great ideas. I need to just clothes my eyes and pick one I guess.
Oh hey, don’t forget to enter the choctoberfest giveaway from Monday either.
This decadent double chocolate banana bread is moist and packed full of chocolate flavor! It's topped with milk chocolate chips and served up with butter!
- 3 medium bananas, overripe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1 T. milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper in the pan and let it hang over the two sides of the loaf pan. They will act as handles to pull the loaf out.
- In a large bowl, add in the ripe bananas and mash them with a fork.
- Add in the vegetable oil and sugar. Mix with a hand mixer until combined.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix until incorporated then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and flour. Mix until incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup of the milk chocolate chips. You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips as well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon of milk chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour 12 minutes or until done. Place a tooth pick into the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean or with moist crumbs, it is done. If it comes out with batter, give it an additional few minutes before testing again.
- Let the chocolate chip banana bread cool completely and then pull out of the loaf pan. Cut and serve. If you cut it while it's still hot, you won't get clean slices, but it will still taste delicious.