This post was created in partnership with Ninja Coffee Bar® System. I received complimentary products and compensation to facilitate my review, but all opinions within are my own.
Eeeeek, I'm so excited! I have another coffee recipe coming at you. These coffee custard filled donuts are absolutely amazing. I've been a big fan of donuts as of late. I could eat an entire batch of them fresh out of the fryer. Of course, I'm an adult and don't do that. It's mainly because my body would hate me for days afterwards, if I'm honest.
Call me crazy, but I had a cup of coffee with my coffee donut the other morning! I had to make some strong coffee anyway for this recipe. I am absolutely in love with my new Ninja Coffee Bar® System. I feel like a stay-at-home barista now. The best part is that I can get better coffee from home than I would at a coffee house. Believe it or not, it was actually on my Christmas list this year. My husband was a little discouraged with me when he found out that I got a sponsorship that included one.
Are you wondering what's so amazing about this coffee bar system? You obviously haven't gotten to take a peek at it yet. It includes a built-in hot and cold frother, six brew sizes and five brew types including the Ninja-exclusive Cafe Forte brew, which amplifies the natural subtle flavors of your favorite coffee. It can make a cup, travel mug, or pot full of coffee. There are settings for all three which is awesome! It tell you when it needs cleaned! I need that reminder.
Do you want to know the best part? I'm giving one away to one of you guys at the bottom of this very post! Yayyyy! This is the perfect Christmas present to yourself or if you're generous, you're family.
My favorite donut has always been jelly filled, but this is definitely tied for favorite. The coffee flavor is strong in this custard which I need. I hate when I have a coffee flavored dessert and I can hardly taste the coffee. It's a real let down. No worries here, folks.
If you want other amazing coffee desserts, you have got to check out my coffee cheesecake and coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream. They're two of my most popular recipes on the blog of all times. I plan on making a coffee fudge next week, so stop back by to get a look at that!
Coffee Custard Filled Donuts
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup strong coffee room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 T. butter
- 1 pkg active dry yeast 2 + ¼ teaspoon
- ¼ cup warm water 110°F
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T. + 3 cups canola oil divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, add in the egg yolks, milk, and strong coffee, Whisk until incorporated.
- In a medium saucepan, add in the sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Whisk until the cornstarch is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour about ¾ cup of the egg and milk mixture into the saucepan and whisk until incorporated. Start with a small amount to avoid lumps.
- Add the remaining egg and milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add in the butter and turn heat on to medium. Whisk pretty steadily to avoid clumps and burning.
- Once the mixture comes up to a boil, let it boil for 1 minute until it thickens. Whisk constantly while the custard is boiling.
- Immediately run the custard through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Be sure that the plastic wrap sits on the top of the custard to avoid a skin. Place into the fridge to chill.
- Dissolve yeast in the ¼ cup warm water. Add a teaspoon of sugar and stir. Let it sit for 10 minutes until foamy. This will mean your yeast is activated.
- In a saucepan, add in the milk, shortening, sugar and salt. Turn on heat to medium/high. Let it come to almost a bubble. Once the milk starts to form bubbles on the outer edge, remove from the heat and let cool to luke warm.
- Add the milk mixture, yeast, mashed potatoes, and beaten eggs into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add in the 5 cups of flour and stir until most of the flour is incorporated. Remove the dough from the bowl onto a clean work surface and work in the rest of the dough. Knead the dough until smooth. It will be a soft dough.
- Place 1 tablespoon of oil into a bowl. Add the dough and roll it into the oil to coat it. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area until doubled. It will take about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Turn the dough out onto the the floured surface and roll out to about ½ inch thickness. Cut with 3 or 4 inch round cookie cutter.
- Place the cut out donuts onto two cookie sheets that have been greased with non-stick cooking spray. I normally lay a piece of parchment paper down onto the cookie sheet and then spray that with non-stick cooking spray. The parchment paper isn't necessary.
- Cover the donuts with the plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled. This will take about 30 minutes.
- While the donuts are rising for the second time, add the 3 cups of oil into a large saucepan and let it heat to 350 degrees.
- Once the donuts are doubled and the oil is up to temperature, add 1 to 2 donuts into the oil. Let the donuts fry for about 2 minutes until golden brown. Flip and let fry for another minute to two minutes until that side is golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place on a wire rack to drain.
- Place the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a storage bag or paper bag.
- Toss the warm donuts into the cinnamon and sugar.
- Add the # 230 Bismarck Metal Tip in a large disposable piping bag. Fill the bag with the coffee custard.
- Pipe the custard into the center of the donuts. Fill until the centers of the donuts puff out slightly.
- Best if ate fresh.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
For tips on how to be a #NinjaBarista, recipe inspiration, or to purchase the Ninja Coffee Bar® System, visit ninjacoffeebar.com
Contest entrants are only eligible to win once per sweepstake, per household as a part of a campaign sponsored by Influence Central and must reside in the United States.