Coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream are downright delicious. They’re the ultimate coffee desserts! Coffee infused cupcakes filled with whipped mocha ganache and topped with coffee buttercream frosting.
This post is Sponsored by Single Edition Media on behalf of KitchenAid.
Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
Who doesn’t love a couple of good coffee recipes? These coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream are downright delicious. They’re the ultimate for coffee lovers. Coffee infused cupcakes that are filled with whipped mocha ganache and topped with coffee buttercream. Seriously.
If you missed my previous coffee recipes, there’s the coffee syrup, coffee cookies, and coffee jello shots. The jello shots will knock your socks off. You need to run out and make them for New Years. They’ll keep you wired and help you ring in the New Year.
Don’t forget the most adorable Clear 4 Oz Espresso Cappuccino Mugs (aff. link) to put the shots in. It really makes them. Trust me, people will drive you crazy asking for the recipe and where they can find the little mugs.
The coffee cupcakes themselves are soft and spongy. Coffee has been infused into them, but what makes these cupcakes sensational is that they are filled with whipped mocha ganache and topped with incredibly rich coffee buttercream. I’m in love with the chocolate covered espresso beans so I threw some of those on top for the finishing touch.
More coffee desserts you’ll want to try:
How to make Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 T . instant coffee
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 3 T . instant coffee
- 3 tsp . water
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T . milk
- 14 chocolate covered espresso beans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in your cupcake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the vegetable oil and granulated sugar. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and eggs into the sugar mixture. Mix on medium until the eggs become pale. (about 1 minutes)
- In a small bowl, add in the instant coffee and water. Stir until all the granules are dissolved. Add into the large bowl.
- Add the sour cream into the bowl with the remaining wet ingredients. Mix until the sour cream in incorporated.
- Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour. Mix just until the flour is incorporated. The batter won’t be super thick.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pans.
- Place into the preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes or until done. Add a toothpick to the center of the cupcakes, if it comes out clean or with moist crumbs, it’s done. If it still has batter on it, let it bake awhile longer.
- Set aside to let cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add in the milk chocolate chips, heavy cream and instant coffee. Stir to combine.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Stir until everything combines and becomes smooth.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour to cool down and thicken.
- Remove from the fridge and whip with a hand mixer until it lightens in color and becomes fluffy.
- Remove the centers of the cupcakes, but be sure not to go all the way through them. Leave a bottom so your ganache doesn’t fall out.
- Add the whipped ganache into a piping bag or sandwich bag. Pipe the ganache into the center of the cupcakes. You can add a small mound above the cupcake for a surprise center of the buttercream. There should be some left over after filling all the cupcakes depend on how big of a hole you’re filling.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter. Mix with the hand mixer to get the butter blended.
- In a small bowl, add the instant coffee and water. Mix until all the granules are dissolved.
- Add the coffee mixture and powdered sugar in with the butter. Mix until it comes together.
- Add in the milk and continue to mix for about 2 minutes. It will make the buttercream light and fluffy.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag with a straight tip. Pipe swirls on the tops of the cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered espresso bean.