Let’s take a quick break from some Christmas sweets and get down on this cheesy jalapeno popper bites appetizer. These are easy to make, look fancy, and go great with a glass of wine. They would also make a killer game day snack!
I must have the holidays on the brain, but who doesn’t? We’re right in the midst the it. These remind me of a Christmas cookie. The chopped jalapenos and bits of bacon are the sprinkles and the cheese is the frosting. Do you see it?
Anyway, they’re not cookies but I could probably inhale them as fast as I do cookies.
My mom makes a killer dip every Christmas Eve for our little binge party before Christmas morning. These jalapeno popper bites are totally inspired by it. I’m positive she wouldn’t know what to do with puff pastry, but it makes the best crust. It’s so light and flaky. With all of the tasty cheese loaded in the center, a bit of airiness is a good thing.
Does anyone else do a Christmas Eve party with the fam? We used to do it for my grandma. She lived alone and no one wants to be alone around the holidays. She would come up and we would party hard and laugh even harder. She’s been gone five years now, but it just doesn’t seem right to stop now.
Forget the eggnog this year, I’m going to bring some Cavit Pinot Grigio wine to the party. It smells as good as it tastes. It’s bright, fruity, and basically my new obsession.
Jalapeno Popper Bites
- 1 pkg puff pastry 2 sheets, thawed
- 1/3 cup jalapenos finely diced
- 1/4 cup crispy bacon finely chopped
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 4 oz . cream cheese room temperature
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet flat. Cut it into thirds vertically and then horizontally so you have 9 equal squares.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in the jalapenos, bacon, pepper jack and cheddar cheese, and cream cheese, Wood it with a wooden spoon until the cream cheese is thoroughly incorporated. You want the cream cheese to act as a binder for the other cheeses, jalapenos, and bacon.
- Add the egg into a small bowl with 2 tsp. water. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Brush the egg wash on top of the puff pastry squares.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the jalapeno popper filling to the center of the puff pastry. I rolled mine into a ball and placed it into the center of the pastry.
- Place into the oven and bake for 18 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and eat immediately.