Epic. This little individual cake is epic. This cake literally was whipped together within minutes. Something this naughty should not be so easy to make. The best part is you can make them in cupcake pans or the large muffin pans. I opted for the large muffin pans, which take a bit longer to bake, but be patient. They're worth the wait.
The cake's super chocolatey, melted center, all gooey and warm is enough to break a person. Not that I have any will power as it is, but if I did.. well, it would have been destroyed, withered up in a corner begging for more. That is how good this is. Trust me. Just make it. Do it.
I got this recipe while browsing on pinterest. I'm such a pinterest junkie. I even have the little app on my phone so whenever we travel to my parent's house or five minutes down the road to the gas station I won't miss a thing. It kills two birds with one stone. I don't know if you've ever heard that saying. Maybe it's just the backwoods coming out in me, but regardless it means doing two things in one shot. What is the other thing it does other than entertain me? It drives my husband crazy. I think the existence of my smartphone drives him crazy. It's fun though. for me.
Chocolate Lava Cake
- In your cupcake or muffin tin, spray nonstick cooking spray. In one cup at a time, pour a teaspoon of cocoa powder in. Tap the powder until it covers the entire cup. Repeat to the rest of the cups.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter, and heavy cream. I used regular milk since I didn't have heavy cream and it worked fine.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir the chocolate each time afterwards. Repeat until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar and flour. Whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs to the dry mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- Slowly poor into the chocolate mixture and whisk constantly. Continue to whisk until everything is combined.
- Pour into the cupcake/muffin tin. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. It can sit in the fridge for an entire day.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place pan in the oven for 10 minutes for a cupcake tin and 17 minutes for a large muffin tin or until the top centers are barely cooked. They won't still be a batter. This will help keep the gooey chocolate inside until the cake is cut into.
- Take the lava cakes out of the oven and let them sit in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Place a plate on top of the tin to flip the cakes out. Flip the tin over with the plate still on top. The cakes should come out perfectly.
- Serve with ice cream or fresh fruit. Whatever your heart desires, actually.
This cake is incredible with fresh strawberries which is how I ate it. I felt better about eating it with fresh strawberries covering it. It cake it a fresh pop too. My husband found it fitting to warm it up and place some ice cream on top of his. Looked amazing, I'm not going to lie. So amazing.