This is like crack for my taste buds. Holy cow. I know I’ve told you many times already that I love the sweet and salty combination. This is exactly the sweet and salty that makes me jump for joy.
I learned very quickly that the sugar can go from caramelized to scorched in seconds. This wasn’t my first batch. In fact, I burnt mine for the first time around or at least I think I scorched it. It was so rich and yummy as it first hit my tongue, but then the bitter scorched flavor came in and ruined it all.
I also had a rubber spatula fatality in the first batch. It was just a lose/lose situation for me. My brand spanking new 99 cent spatula that I got from Maine’s in Binghamton couldn’t hold up to the boiling sugar. I suppose I can’t blame it. That’s okay, I just started all over with another spatula and batch of sugar. This time I was more attentive.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 T. butter cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. kosher coarse salt or sea salt
- In a medium sauce pan, add the sugar. Turn the heat onto medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a spatula. The sugar may get clumpy before it starts melting.
- When the sugar starts melting, switch to a whisk. Whisk constantly to avoid scorching the sugar. It will caramelize in seconds.
- When the sugar becomes an amber color, add in the butter and whisk until the butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and add the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until the heavy cream is incorporated into the sugar/butter mixture. It will be a thick, caramelized sauce.
- Let the sauce cool for a few minutes before pouring it into a jar. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
This hardens a touch in the fridge, but if you let it set out for a bit it will thin back out. I shamefully just ate it by the spoonful, but I have intentions on making a salted caramel filled chocolate. Stay tuned for that in the near future. I have to get more coating chocolates first. This would also be awesome on top of ice cream.
I hope you enjoy the salted caramel sauce recipe!