Grapefruit pie is a creamy, silky smooth custard pie with a punch of citrus flavor!
Get more grapefruit into your life with this grapefruit pie. I've always loved grapefruit! I'll be honest though, I sprinkle the top of my grapefruit with sugar before digging in with my handy spoon. There's no need to sprinkle sugar on the top of this grapefruit pie though, it's sweet enough as is. Don't worry though, it still has a bite to it!
Grapefruit Pie Recipe Notes
I had to make this recipe a few times to get it right. After a couple of times, I finally decided to add a little drop of food coloring to give the grapefruit a peachy look. I adore the color that it gives, but it gets lost with the sweetened condensed milk. Of course, if you're not into food coloring, don't add it. I really do like the color it provided though. I would definitely do it again, provided I already had the color on hand.
As you can tell from the slice above, this pie is incredibly creamy and slices perfectly. I had such an awesome turnout with my blackberry key lime pie, I knew grapefruit had to happen. Not to mention, I think it's pretty unique! Hopefully, that's not a bad thing!
How to Make Grapefruit Pie
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 T. butter melted
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice 2 large grapefruit
- 1 drop peach gel paste color optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Stir until it looks like wet sand.
- Press the graham crackers into an 8 inch pie plate.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sweetened condensed milk and food color if you chose to use it. Since the condensed milk is thick, it will help easily mix the food coloring in.
- Add in yolks and grapefruit juice. Stir by hand until combined. Do not whisk or form bubbles.
- Pour into the graham cracker crust.
- Place in the oven at 350 and bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set.
- Let cool and place in the fridge for 3 hours to overnight to finish setting up.
- Pipe some dots of whipped cream. Cut and serve.