So, I was on Twitter the other day stalking some of my favorite brands and came across a blackberry pear salad. It really got inside my head and I decided I was going to make a blackberry pear pie. I'm a sucker for fruity desserts. What am I saying? I'm a sucker for desserts. Period.
Neither blackberries or pears are in season right now, but I trudged into the produce section and ACTUALLY found the fruit I was looking for. These sorts of things really make my day. I don't know about you, but it really is the little things that will make or break my day. My blackberries were a little tart, but I had faith. Anything will be made better if there are pears involved.
So, here are the things I love about this pie. It's loaded with pears. The chunks of pear aren't a mushy mess. You can still see the shape. The purple color inside this pie gives me life. The slight ooze of the pie filling also gives me life. The gorgeous golden color of the pie crust. <3<3
You can use a store-bought pie crust, but the recipe that I use is to die for. It browns up perfectly and is incredibly flaky. What I'm saying is you need to click over to get that recipe. It has never failed me.
Blackberry Pear Pie
- store-bought pie crust
- 8 pears peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups blackberries washed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup all-purpose four
- 1 large egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the prepared pie dough into a circle. Just eyeball your pie plate and the circle to see if you're close. That's my technique.
- Once your circle is about the size you need, fold the dough in half and pick it up and place onto the pie plate. Unfold the dough and push the dough onto the bottom and sides.
- Trim the edges. I cut them even with the edge of the pie plate using a knife.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sliced pears, blackberries, granulated and brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir to combine and make sure all the fruit is coated.
- Pour the fruit into the pie shell.
- Repeat the rolling out with the top piece of dough.
- In a small bowl, crack the egg and beat it. Using a pastry brush, rub the egg wash onto the bottom edge of the pie crust.
- Lay the top layer of dough on. Cut some steam holes into the top layer. You can cut the steam holes before you place the dough on the pie or after. I do it after so I can keep them sort of centered.
- With your forefinger and thumb, crimp the pie crust together. I usually form a "U" with my forefinger and thumb on the inside of the edge. With my other forefinger, I push the dough between my thumb and forefinger resting on the inside. (I hope this helps)
- With the pastry brush, cover the top layer with the egg wash.
- Place into the at 425 degrees for 20 minutes and then turn the heat down to 350 and bake another 40 minutes. The pie will be bubbly and brown.
- Let cool, cut and serve.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Heather Kinnaird says
this looks like pie perfection. I'm a sucker for a fruit dessert
Thanks! Fruit desserts are the best! <3
Allison // Always Eat Dessert says
Yes to fruity desserts! I'm also a total sucker for all desserts (um, hi, my blog is called Always Eat Dessert!), but fruit desserts are my absolute favorite this time of year! This pie looks incredibly delicious! Thanks for sharing!
haha! You are too funny. I'll keep the fruity desserts coming then! Thanks for such a fun comment. 😉
Janet Vinyard says
Hi Miranda, The combination of blackberries and pears sounds both interesting and delicious! I'll definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Janet
Cynthia Rusincovitch says
Pear pie?? I've never heard of that before but it definitely sounds like a great pie! Thanks for linking up with Delicious Dishes Recipe Party!
That crust looks perfect! What a nice recipe. Thanks for sharing...
Alaina @ A Not So Quiet Kitchen says
This pie looks delish! Blackberries + Pears = awesome!! I don't normally make pie, but I think I need to try this one! 🙂