Hot Cocoa Brownies are chewy brownies, packed full of hot cocoa and tiny marshmallows bits. Make this easy cocoa brownies recipe and enjoy them with a mug of hot chocolate!
This hot cocoa brownies recipe is made using packets of hot cocoa! Homemade hot chocolate is great, but I loveeee instant hot cocoa. The kind that's just powder and in a mug with liquid. Seriously. Cold milk, a couple envelops of hot cocoa and a spoon. That's all I needed in my life. At least as a child it was until my Gram would realize what I was going to town eating on. Then, I would get a talking to and begin my planning of how I would get away it it the next time. She was the best Gramma. <3
Hot Cocoa Brownies with Marshmallows
So the thing I think I adore the most about these chewy marshmallow brownies is the crispy, shiny crust and the bits of marshmallows. If I had the entire pan of homemade brownies to myself, I could see myself scraping the tops off the brownies and eating them first. Don't worry, I didn't have a chance with other family members in the house scarfing them down.
These brownies aren't a rich dark brown color because I didn't load it up with cocoa powder. I wanted the hot cocoa flavor to shine through so I just added more hot cocoa instead of cocoa powder. I also added the tiny mallow bits into the batter and I think that added another layer of chewy.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Brownies:
Hot Cocoa Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and drape the parchment over two opposite sides of the pan. This will provide a handle to pull out the brownies. Then spray the parchment with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat for 2 minutes until the mixture turns pale and becomes thick and fluffy.
- Add in the baking powder, hot cocoa envelopes and flour. Mix with the hand mixer on low until incorporated. Scrape down sides and give a quick mix to incorporate.
- Stir in ½ cup of mallow bits into the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Make sure to spread to all of the edges and corners.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of tiny mallow bits on top of the brownies.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the brownies and if it comes out clean or with moist crumbs, it's done. If there's still batter, let bake a little longer.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Cut into squares and serve!
Do you enjoy a cup of hot cocoa? Does it bring back childhood memories for you?