I’ve been in the mood to make cupcakes galore! We have some chocolate banana cupcakes with a tasty chocolate frosting! I topped the cupcakes with a fresh slice of banana too. These cupcakes are incredibly moist from those super ripe bananas and definitely the addition of yogurt.
I was so inspired by my chocolate chip banana bread that I made myself a chocolate version. These are less like bread though. That’s a good thing, right? Bread like cupcakes sound horrible. 😛
I’m guilty of tweaking my own recipes all the time. Once I have a base recipe for something, I will start working it into new recipes. My french macarons, for example, are all from my same base recipe. It works perfectly and has obviously been tested many and many of times. Pretty smart right? Don’t get me wrong, I write a ton of new ones too and test them. It’s the best part of my job!
I guess I should touch base on my fresh banana slices. You will want to add them just before serving. I got out my fruit fresh to sprinkle on them to keep them from browning, but lemon juice should also do the trick too. I just happen to have fruit fresh on hand because brown never looks pretty on a fresh fruit when trying to get photographs of it and I do some canning in the summer!
I love to can and preserve, but a lot of the time I find that I’m the only one that eats the stuff in our house. I always can as much as humanly possible in diced tomatoes for my parents. They eat chili like every other day from September to May and love to use our home grown tomatoes instead of buying them. I would love to eventually get a large pressure canner, but as it is I have my water bath that used to be my gram’s!
- 2 overripe bananas mashed
- 2 T . butter melted
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp . chocolate extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T . milk
- 1/2 banana sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the mashed bananas, melted butter, yogurt, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium by a hand mixer.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Mix on low until combined.
- Stir in the milk chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes and if they come out clean or with moist crumbs, they're done!
- Let cool and make the frosting!
- In a large bowl, add in the butter, cocoa powder, and chocolate extract. Beat with a hand mixer until combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar and milk and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Once incorporated, turn hand mixer on high and beat for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag with a 1M tip. Pipe swirls on the cooled cupcakes.
- Just before serving cupcakes, garnish with the freshly sliced bananas. To prevent browning, sprinkle with fruit fresh or lemon juice.