You can never have enough chocolate and this chocolate poke cake is fully loaded. I wanted to go with the name death by chocolate cake, but maybe mentioning death in a recipe title could be bad for business. Basically, it has chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, hot fudge, chocolate syrup, chocolate whipped cream and mini chocolate chips. Sounds decadent, right?
Yeah, it is but so tasty. It’s simple to make too. This time around I doctored up a cake mix which makes things a bit easier. I did that for a couple of reasons. I wanted to keep things easy peasy and I wanted a cake that I know does well in the fridge since our cake will be refrigerated. Cakes that have vegetable oil in them aren’t going to become hard in the fridge like a butter based cake.
Speaking of storing my cake in the fridge, OXO sent me these. 14 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set that I’m in love with. See my cake in the back with the lid on it? Yep, this cake went to the top of the pan and guess what! I was able to put the lid on without it smashing my frosting, chocolate syrup and mini chocolate chips down. Do you know why? Because the lid is raised for that purpose. Another awesome feature is the baking dishes have wide handles that are easy to grab onto with oven mitts.
This cake is loaded with a thick, hot fudge topping. I poked nice large holes all over in the cake and dumped the fudge in. The fudge is basically a super thick ganache. I somehow managed to miss the holes when I cut this piece which is a shame! I wanted to show you so bad!
- 1 Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 3.56 oz package chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 11.75 oz . jars hot fudge topping
- 12 oz . whipped topping
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup divided
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the box cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, chocolate pudding and sour cream. Mix with a hand mixer until incorporated.
- Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Place into the preheated oven. Let bake for 40 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the cake and if moist crumbs come out it's done. You don't want batter on your toothpick. That means your cake isn't done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Poke large holes into the cake with large straws. You can also use the round handle of a slotted spoon if you happen to have one on hand.
- Heat one 11.75 oz jar of fudge for about 45 seconds. Stir and pour into the large holes that you made into the cake. Spread the fudge to be sure to fill the holes.
- Place 1/4 cup of the chocolate syrup on top of the cake.
- In a large bowl, add in one 8 oz. container and another 1/2 of an 8 oz container of whipped topping. Scoop out the remaining jar of hot fudge into the whipped topping. Stir to combine.
- Spread the whipped topping onto the cake evenly.
- Drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup on top of the chocolate whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on the top of the chocolate syrup and whipped topping.
- Cover and place into the fridge. Cut and serve. Store in the fridge!
OXO provided me this 14 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set to use and review for you. As always, all opinions are my own.