This chocolate Guinness poke cake isn’t only filled with Guinness, but there’s Baileys Irish cream in it too! The homemade chocolate cake is so moist and tender. It’s filled with boozy chocolate pudding and topped with a Baileys cream cheese whipped cream frosting.
Chocolate Guinness Poke Cake
I know a lot of poke cakes call for a box cake mix included my chocolate poke cake, but this one is actually from scratch. I remember after my chocolate poke cake became popular I had a few angry people that wanted the cake to be homemade.
I like box cake mix. I like homemade cake. I always try to throw in a mixture of different recipes so there’s a little something for everyone.
Sometimes it’s so hard to decorate a cake that’s baked in a 9×13 pan. I normally just make swirls with my finger like my mom always did when I was growing up if I know that just my family will be eating it. You can also use a butter knife.
This time though, I decided to try to use a decorating comb. I really like how it came out especially with the sprinkles on top.
How to make chocolate guinness cake
So chocolate guinness cake is one of the easiest cake recipes to make. A hand mixer isn’t even needed. Grab a whisk and go to town.
To make this cake, you add all of the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until combined. Add all of the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and whisk to make sure the dry ingredients are incorporated. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and voila!
After it’s baked, let it cool. Then use the round side of a wooden spoon to make large holes into the cake. That’s for the boozy chocolate pudding that will be added.
Do I need to use Guinness beer in the chocolate guinness cake? No! You can also use any stout beer you would like.
Will the Baileys cream cheese whipped cream frosting become hard while in the fridge? Nope. The whipped cream that was added in the frosting keeps it soft and fluffy. It won’t become hard and crumbly like frosting that has butter in it.
What kind of chocolate pudding did you use? I used instant chocolate pudding. Do not get the cook & serve pudding!
Chocolate Guinness Poke Cake
- 3.9 oz. instant chocolate pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 T. Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the beer, vegetable oil, beaten eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream until it comes together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients. Whisk until most or all of the lumps out. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and incorporate all of the flour.
- Pour into the prepared 9x13 pan. Place into the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes until done. Use the toothpick test to check to see if it's done. Let cool completely.
- Using a wooden spoon with a round handle, add 4 to 5 rows of holes and 4 holes per a row into the cooled cake.
- In a medium bowl, add the pudding, milk, and Irish cream. Whisk for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Pour the pudding into the holes and on top of the cake. Spread it out using a spatula.
- FrostingIn a mixing bowl, add in cream cheese and powdered sugar. Beat with hand mixer on medium until incorporated.
- Add in the Irish cream and mix until combined.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spread on top of the pudding layer on the cake.
- Add sprinkles to the top and refrigerate for about 2 hours to allow the pudding and frosting to firm up.
- Cut and serve!