This super decadent triple chocolate cheesecake recipe will surely please all chocolate lovers. It has a chocolate oreo crust, a rich chocolate cheesecake filling, and a milk chocolate ganache topping. This is totally optional, but you can take it over the top with a chocolate whipped cream! Discover more cheesecake recipes that you can make over and over again too.
I went a little crazy with this triple chocolate cheesecake. It's more like a quintuple chocolate cheesecake if you want to count the chocolate whipped cream and chocolate curls, but let's be honest, no one is going to search for that.
How to make Chocolate Curls
Okay, I have to fess up and admit that I didn't make these. I bought them here on Amazon but they aren't hard to make. The key to chocolate curls is to have a very sharp vegetable peeler. I have a dull vegetable peeler that makes horrible chocolate shavings and then I have a super-duper sharp one that makes beautiful chocolate curls.
As for the chocolate, a Hershey chocolate bar is my go-to. You have to work fast because the heat from your hands will heat up and melt the chocolate bar in minutes.
This chocolate cheesecake is a very loose variation of my coffee cheesecake recipe that everyone loves. It's so rich, creamy, and chocolatey but I'm sure you can tell that from the picture above.
It was nearly the perfect cut until one of those pesky chocolate curls took a chunk out of the side of the slice. What a little bugger, but what can you do? Accept it and move on.
I would cry about it but I tend to save all of my tears for those heartfelt movies or when I lose a character I've grown attached to in a series. I'm not the only one that does this, right?
How to make chocolate cheesecake
To make this chocolate cheesecake recipe, you're going to need unsweetened cocoa powder and semi-sweet baking chocolate. You can use bittersweet baking chocolate. I've used both and love both so it's really up to you.
- Mix the cocoa powder and sugar together in a small bowl. This will help take care of any lumps in the cocoa powder.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar to the cream cheese and beat together.
- Add in the melted baking chocolate and mix.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat until each egg is worked into the batter. Scrape down the bowl and beat in any remaining bits.
- Add in the sour cream and heavy cream and mix until they're combined.
- Pour the chocolate cheese on top of the oreo crust and bake.
Can I use chocolate chips instead of baking chocolate?
Yes, you can. Either will work in this recipe. I think the chocolate chips make for a slightly firmer cheesecake after it's baked and chilled.
Other chocolate recipes that you didn't know you needed in your life
Other Chocolate Week Recipes:
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Chocolate Cherry Milkshake
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Pudding Fudge Cake
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
- 20 oreo cookies
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream divided
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Chocolate Curls optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray sides of the 9.5-inch springform pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a food processor, add in the oreo cookies. Pulse until the oreo cookies are a fine crumb. You can also add the cookies into a storage bag and crush the cookies with a rolling pin.
- Add the melted butter into the oreo cookie crumbs and pulse a couple of times until the butter is evenly distributed.
- Dump the cookie crumbs evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool while you work on the cheesecake filling.
Chocolate Cheesecake Filling
- In a bowl, add in the cocoa powder and sugar. Stir to combine. This will prevent lumps of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the cream cheese. Beat with a hand mixer on medium until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar mixture in with the cream cheese. Beat on medium until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the heavy cream and chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals and stir. Repeat until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the melted chocolate and heavy cream to the cheesecake and beat until the chocolate is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time into the cream cheese mixture. Beat in each egg completely before adding the next. Scrape down the bowl after incorporating each egg.
- Add the sour cream. Beat until combined. Give the bowl one last scrape.
- Wrap the springform pan with 2 layers of heavy-duty tin foil. Place the cheesecake into a slightly bigger pan and fill with one inch of water.
- Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the oreo cookie crust.
- Place in the preheated oven. Let the cheesecake bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until done. To make sure the cheesecake is done, gently give it a wiggle. If it slightly jiggles in JUST the middle like jello, then it's done. If it jiggles all over, it needs to bake longer. Turn off the heat and crack the oven door slightly. Let it cool in the oven for 1 to 2 hours until it reaches room temperature and then place in the fridge to chill overnight.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add in the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat one more time and stir until the ganache comes together.
- Pour the ganache on top of the cooled cheesecake.
- Sprinkle the chocolate curls on top of the warm ganache. Keep them towards the center so you can pipe chocolate whipped cream on the outer edge.
- Place the cheesecake in the fridge until it's chilled. I let mine sit overnight.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add in 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave in 15-second intervals and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. Beat on medium until soft peaks form.
- Add about ¼ cup of the whipped cream in with the melted, but cooled chocolate. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate until combined. It will double the volume of the chocolate and will be runny. Don't overmix.
- Add the chocolate whipped cream in with the large bowl of whipped cream. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with the 1M tip.
- Pipe swirls on the top of the chilled cheesecake to finish it off.
- Slice and serve! Store in the fridge.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)