These Easy Strawberry Brownies are moist and bursting with strawberry flavor. They're made with a strawberry cake mix, fresh lemon juice, and homemade strawberry sauce mixed in. They're then topped with a strawberry glaze for an extra layer of strawberry deliciousness!
This moist, decadent strawberry brownie recipe is a great spring or summer brownie to serve up after dinner, for a potluck, or to take to a bake sale.
If you love strawberry desserts as much as I do, you have to try my Strawberry Crunch Layer Dessert with layers of golden oreo, cheesecake, strawberry pie filling, and a delicious strawberry crunch topping!
I also have a strawberry rhubarb pie that's sweet and tart with the most amazing crust recipe! Rhubarb is quite seasonal though, so if you didn't freeze any last spring, you may be out of luck for a little bit.
Lastly, I have Strawberry Frosting made with fresh strawberries that have been cooked down into a paste. It's busting with strawberry flavor as well and so pretty!
Strawberry Brownie Ingredients
These cake mix strawberry brownies only require 7 ingredients. They're not the typical brownie ingredients, so double-check to make sure you have everything!
- Strawberries - Use fresh strawberries, not frozen.
- Sugar - This will be used in the homemade strawberry sauce.
- Vanilla - use your favorite vanilla extract.
- Strawberry Cake Mix - any brand should work nicely.
- Eggs - always use large eggs unless the recipe specifies differently.
- Lemon Juice - Use fresh lemon juice. You can also add in some lemon zest if you would like.
- Powdered Sugar - This is used for the strawberry glaze, not the brownies.
How to make Strawberry Brownies
Homemade Strawberry Sauce - You have to start by cooking down the strawberry sauce to go into the brownies and glaze.
Step 1 - Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Step 2 - Add in the strawberries and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3 - Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Step 4 - Let cool.
Strawberry Brownies - the base is made with a strawberry cake mix, which makes it super quick!
Step 1 - In a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, strawberry sauce, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Step 2 - Stir in the fresh strawberries.
Step 3 - Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
Step 4 - Bake until the center is set. You can check this by inserting a toothpick into the center of the brownies. Moist crumbs mean the brownies are done and wet batter means you need to bake them longer.
Strawberry Glaze - Once the brownies have cooled, start making your glaze.
Add the strawberry sauce and water to a bowl of powdered sugar. Stir until combined.
Pour over the strawberry brownies, slice, and serve. Feel free to garnish with fresh strawberries.
How long will strawberry brownies last?
These brownies will store for around 4-5 days in the fridge. You can stretch them a bit longer but you will find that the brownies begin to dry out pretty fast.
To store them properly, cover them with plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the fridge. If you think they're kind of hard fresh from the fridge, let them sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
These easy strawberry brownies can be frozen. Slice and take the cooled brownies and store in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for 3-4 months. When you want to eat one or more, remove from the freezer, and thaw on counter for a quick thaw. Or toss in the fridge and thaw overnight.
If you want you can add the strawberry extract to the brownies. I find that with the strawberry sauce it really elevates the flavor. If you add extract I would do around ¼-1/2 teaspoon.
Take a toothpick and stick it in the brownies. If it comes out clean with no wet batter the brownies are cooked and ready to be removed from the oven. If not, then cook another couple of minutes.
Make sure when you are getting berries look for brightly red strawberries, that do not show any bruises or soft spots. Also, look over the container to make sure there is not any mold on the berries.
More Brownies and Bars to Try
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup fresh strawberries chopped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box strawberry cake mix I used betty crocker
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup strawberry sauce recipe above
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh strawberries chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons water more if needed
- Add the water and sugar to a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and let simmer on low for 10 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, mash the strawberries and whisk occasionally while they simmer.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Allow the sauce to cool. You'll be dividing the sauce into ¼ cup for brownies and 1 tablespoon for glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch or 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Grease well with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the cake mix, eggs, ¼ cup strawberry sauce, and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the fresh strawberries until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and evenly spread to the edges of the pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-27 minutes or until the center is set. To double check, insert a toothpick in the center of the brownies. If it comes out clean, they're done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Carefully lift the parchment paper out of the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon strawberry sauce, and 2 tablespoons of water to a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add more water, if needed, for a thinner consistency of glaze.
- Pour glaze over brownies and spread out evenly.
- Cut brownies into 9 pieces.
Add 1 drop of red gel food coloring to the glaze to enhance the pink color.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)