Have you ever tried using a roasted banana in a recipe? I have and the recipe for my roasted banana chocolate chip muffins is proof! The roasting of the banana really brings out the sugar. If you're like me and throw your overripe bananas in the freezer peel and all, this is a recipe that will work perfectly.
I've noticed that I really like to add chocolate into my muffins. It's like a little something naughty that you've slipped into your breakfast. I need that in my life especially since my son will be home for the summer and he'll be near at all times. That means I can't eat cake for breakfast without him catching me. The important thing here to remember is that I don't let my young impressionable child see me, right?
These muffin tops are the prettiest. I know, you don't often hear such nice things about muffin tops. I know I curse mine often. 😛 Seriously though. They baked up with the perfect golden top and the chocolate chips didn't sink. They stayed up on top looking perky as ever.
Roasted Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place the 3 overripe bananas with their peels still on on a baking sheet with edges. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. The banana peels will begin to pop up and juice will bubble out. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and bananas. Mix on medium to combine. When you open up the bananas, it should almost look like a pureed consistency.
- Add in the room temperature eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix on medium until incorporated.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix on medium until it's just incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup of milk chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Fill the cupcake liners ¾th full with batter. Sprinkle a few milk chocolate chips on top of each filled cup.
- Place into the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 22 - 23 minutes or until done. The easiest way to tell is when a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs or clean.
If you want more chocolate for breakfast, I did make these double chocolate muffins the other day.