This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dollar General. All opinions are 100% mine.
Who doesn't love a quick and easy dessert recipe with things you have on hand? This peanut butter ice box cake was made after a swoop into the Dollar General. I had to grab some graham crackers while I was there and found myself with a cart full of goodies. That's when this recipe idea hit me. I think I can speak for everyone in my household that it was a fantastic idea!
I've loved the Dollar General since I was a young girl and they opened up shop in a town next to us. Did I mention that I'm from a very small town? Anyway, when the holidays are close, I can't help but to stop in just to take a peek at the festive decorations. Not to mention they have a large selection of food and it's all affordable. I'm not talking just snacks, which they have a great selection of but for dinners too. Discover DG easy meal recipes at Dollar General!
My kid is somewhat picky when it comes to snacks or food period. He, however, enjoys peanuts of any kind, graham crackers, and anything with peanut butter. So you can see how these things would be things I have on hand. Either way, they're so darn tasty you should have them on hand to snack on yourself.
So to get a nice clean cut this peanut butter dessert, I tossed it into the freezer for a couple of hours. If I were just making this and not photographing it, I would have just left it in the fridge instead. Yeah, the cuts wouldn't have been as pretty, but who cares. It's just your family that's eating it. It gives it more of a homemade feel anyway.
Peanut Butter Ice Box Cake
- 14 - 15 honey graham crackers
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8 peanut butter cups quartered
- ¼ cup salted peanuts optional
- 1 ½ T. creamy peanut butter optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the heavy cream. Whip to soft peaks with a hand mixer.
- Once soft peaks are formed, add in the powdered sugar and whip until there are firm peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add in the cream cheese, pudding, and peanut butter. Mix with a hand mixer until incorporated.
- Add in half of the whipped cream and beat until incorporated. Set the over half of whipped cream aside.
- Stir in 4 of the peanut butter cups that have been quartered.
- In a 9x9 baking pan, line the bottom with 4 and ½ graham crackers.
- Add in half of the peanut butter cream cheese mixture. Add dollops all over the graham crackers to make it easier to spread out to the edges. The graham crackers may want to move because the peanut butter cream cheese is pretty thick.
- Add ½ of the remaining whipped cream on top of the peanut butter cream cheese and spread to the edges.
- Add another 4 and ½ graham crackers for the next layer.
- Add the remaining peanut butter mixture, placing it in dollops to help spread it again. Spread the mixture to the edges of the dish.
- Add another 4 and ½ graham crackers.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream on top of the graham crackers.
- Add the remaining 4 peanut butter cups that have been quartered to the top of the ice box cake.
- Sprinkle the salted peanuts to the top of the cake.
- Add the 1 and ½ tablespoons of peanut butter into a sandwich bag. Microwave for 10 seconds. Give it a few squeezes to move the peanut butter around and microwave for another 10 seconds.
- Cut a very small hole in the tip of the sandwich bag.
- Moving your hand quickly back and forth, drizzle the peanut butter over top of the cake.
- Place into the fridge to chill. I let mine chill overnight.
- Cut and serve!
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
I've been loving no bake recipes this summer. I've shared quite a few. Some of my favorites have been the frozen oreo tiramisu and the no bake cherry limeade cheesecake and now the peanut butter ice box cake! See for yourself and give the recipe a try. Find these products and more at Dollar General!