I love taffy, but I have a confession to make. I hate pulling it.. or wrapping all these little pieces for that matter. Nonetheless, this recipe is amazing. Pulled or not pulled, still absolutely delish.
I’m sure you don’t know this, but I’ll with you a little bit about me. I love youtube. I watch videos all the time thanks to my little iphone. We’re the best of friends. I found this recipe from yoyomax12. She called it homemade starburst.
The kool-aid gives the taffy a big burst of flavor and color. Even through the parchment paper, the colors are vibrant. If you pull the taffy, the color will lighten up. I’m lazy and just rolled mine up. I figured my teeth could do the pulling, until a filling gets pulled out. I’m sure then I’ll have a different point of view. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.
- 2 + 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 T . cornstarch
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 + 1/3 cups water
- 2 T . butter
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla
- 2 pkg. kool-aid drink mix , unsweetened (any flavor)
- Line a 17x11x1 jelly roll pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Grease with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, add in sugar and cornstarch. Mix until there are no lumps of cornstarch.
- Add in corn syrup, water, and butter. Heat over medium/high heat to 250 degrees. Stir occasionally until the mixture comes up to a boil. As soon as the mixture is boiling, don't stir anymore.
- Remove from heat once the mixture is up to 250 degrees. Add in the vanilla and kool-aid mix and stir. I divided the mixture in half and used two different kinds of kool-aid drink mix.
- Spread onto the jelly roll pan and let cool for 20 minutes. I let the two different flavors run into each other.
- After it's cooled, rip off pieces of the taffy and pull it until it lightens in color. I skipped this process and cut mine into squares with a pizza cutter. I rolled mine up and flattened the ends. Cut small squares of parchment paper and rolled the taffy inside.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Enjoy the kool-aid taffy!