This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias
Hey! I'm over here combining Fall flavors and cupcakes to bring you spiced candy apple cupcakes with crunchy caramel frosting. I seriously get the most excited to bake from the end of August to January 1st. So much so that my house is pretty packed with baked goods and ingredients that can possibly be used in bake goods.
The weather is sort of cooling down here in New York. Yesterday was like 80 degrees and I broke out in a sweat when I walked down to my husband's work, but for the most part it's getting cooler. I will bake year around, because 1. I have a dessert blog and 2. I LOVE to bake, but a lot of people wait for Fall to come around to start turning on that oven. It makes sense and I know you'll be wanting to turn on that oven for this fairly simple recipe.
This cupcake has everything in it that I love about Fall. There are M&M's® in gorgeous fall colors and pecan pie flavor, apple sauce, spices and caramel all in one little cupcake. The caramel frosting is slightly crunchy from the brown sugar and also from setting up. I'm really digging the crunch factor. This is going to blow everyone out of the water for the #BakeInTheFun sweepstakes and contest!
I found all my goodies for this cupcake at Walmart while browsing the aisles for all things Fall and Halloween. MARS Bake In The Fun Sweepstakes
The M&M's® Pecan Pie candies add a nice almost salty caramel flavor to the cupcake. The candy doesn't stay sitting on the top of the cupcake. They sit in the middle of the cake and some at the bottom which is okay with me. They're a nice surprise to bite into while enjoying one of these cupcakes. I also like the pocket of color that they spread after being baked.
Spiced Candy Apple Cupcake with Crunchy Caramel Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the boxed cake mix, cinnamon and apple pe spice. Stir to incorporate.
- Add in the apple sauce, apple juice, eggs and vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Scoop the cake batter into the liners. I filled mine almost to the top. There was only a very small space between the batter and the very top.
- Place 4 - 5 M&M's® on the top of each cupcake.
- Place in the preheated oven and let bake for 18 minutes. Use a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean before pulling the cupcakes out.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a saucepan, add in the butter and brown sugar. Place over medium heat and let heat until the mixture becomes fluid and starts to bubble.
- Add in ¼ cup of the heavy cream and let it heat for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and place in a mixing bowl. Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and the 2 T. of heavy cream.
- Beat on low until the mixture comes together.
- Turn the beater on high and let it whip for 2 minutes. Place in a piping back with a large star tip.
- Pipe swirls on the tops of the cooled cupcakes. The frosting won't be sticky, so work quickly adding the garnishes on.
- Add on the caramel squares and M&M's®.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
I love the cool weather, the change of leaves, the colors, decorating, baking and basically everything.