This chocolate layer dessert also known as chocolate lush is a family favorite! It has a chocolate cookie crust, a layer of cheesecake mousse, a layer of chocolate pudding, whipped topping, and chocolate sprinkles on top! It doesn't come out as beautiful as I would like, but it tastes absolutely amazing!
Chocolate Layer Dessert
Who else is a big fan of a layered chocolate pudding dessert? My most popular one on the blog is for my chocolate peanut butter layer dessert. Peanut butter and chocolate pudding just go together so well.
BUT I know some people apparently don't like peanut butter in their dessert. Crazy, I know. That's how this dessert came about and I'm glad it did because it's scrumptious!
So here's the deal with this dessert. It needs to be made within the first day or two of being made. The chocolate pudding will start to discolor the whipped topping which isn't a big deal other than it's no longer white. Once the dessert has been cut, the topping will start to slowly separate. I think you'll be okay because this is seriously so addicting that your family will eat it in 1 or 2 sittings.
Want to change up the flavors? It would be pretty easy to do with this recipe. Swap out the original oreos for chocolate mint or whatever flavor has caught your eye. I'm drawing a blank on all of the flavors. There are just so many that are coming and going, I just can't keep track. Add a little extract that pairs with the oreo flavor you chose. Add ¼ - ½ teaspoon of peppermint if you chose the chocolate mint oreos and definitely a little green gel food color too.
OHHH, what about the lemon filled Oreos? Yeah, that would be delicious with a lemon pudding. Guys! I might have to make that because it sounds like the best spring dessert ever.
Did I mention I did a cookie butter layer dessert? YES! If you have a Trader Joes near you, get in there and grab some cookie butter. Even if you don't make the dessert, get a spoon and eat it. It's like the best thing ever.
How to make chocolate layer dessert
Chocolate Layer Dessert
- 26 Oreo cookies
- 6 tablespoon butter melted
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces Cool Whip divided
- 3.9 ounce package chocolate instant pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- Chocolate sprinkles optional
- Using a food processor, pulse the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs.
- Add in the melted butter and process again until the crumbs are coated with butter.
- Press the cookie crumbs into a lined 9x9 baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in the fridge as you prepare the cream cheese layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, milk, vanilla, and sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until well incorporated.
- Stir in 1 cup of cool whip.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cookie crumb layer. Make sure it is spread to all of the sides and corners. Return to the fridge.
- Prepare the chocolate pudding by combining the milk and instant pudding powder. Whisk for 4 minutes until the pudding starts to thicken.
- Pour the chocolate pudding over the cream cheese layer. Spread it out evenly and to all of the sides.
- Spread the remaining cool whip on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle chocolate sprinkles or crushed cookie crumbs as an optional garnish.