Who loves carrot cake? I do. It's so darn good. Let's get a little crazy and make some browned butter carrot cake blondies then. If you're on the look out for some fantastic carrot cake instead, you must check out this caramel frosted carrot cake.
I was going for some super dense blondies. I think it was a job well done. It has some spice, loads of sweetness, and even more bits of grated carrot. I also think these blondies would be outstanding warmed up and topped with some vanilla caramel ice cream. If anyone tries it, do tell me about it.
I added some butterscotch chips to these blondies. I think it really helps to make them dense. If you're not much of a butterscotch fan, you could definitely substitute with white chocolate chips. I haven't tried it with the white chips, but I'm pretty confident the blondies will be just as good.
Browned Butter Carrot Cake Blondies
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ¾ cup butter cubed
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots about 3 large carrots
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 square pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray as well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in the butterscotch chips.
- In a small fry pan, add in the cubed butter. Turn the heat to medium and let the butter melt. Occasionally swirl the butter in the pan. Pay attention to the solids that will start to stick at the bottom. It will take about 10 - 12 minutes to get to this stage. Watch it carefully though.
- Once the butter starts to brown up slightly, remove from heat and immediately add in with the butterscotch chips. Let it sit for a couple of minutes to help melt the chips.
- Whisk the butter and butterscotch chips together. Mine didn't melt completely, so I placed the bowl in the microwave and heated it for 30 seconds. I whisked again and repeated heating it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisking afterwards. If there are still a few small bits, I wouldn't worry about it. They will melt once the brown sugar is added.
- Add in the brown sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat until incorporated.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and beat on medium for about 1 minute. The mixture will lighten up.
- Add in the grated carrots, flour, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat on low until the flour is just incorporated. Don't over-beat the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick in the center of the brownies and if moist crumbs come out, the brownies are done. If wet batter comes out, let it bake a bit longer.
- Let cool, cut and serve!
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Who loves butterscotch other than me? Do tell in the comments!
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Joanie @ ZagLeft says
I love carrot cake and these blondies are such a great idea. The butterscotch puts them over the top. Pinned!
Thank you. I like to sometimes.. maybe most of the time do over the top. 😀
These look delicious and easy. Yummy!
Thank you! They are incredibly delicious and easy.
Nutmeg Nanny says
Hello beautiful blondies! Love that carrot cake twist!
Thank you! I may have loved them a little too much! lol
I love dense, chewy blondies and these seem like they are exactly that!
Indeed they are! You would be in heaven, Marye!
Damn, I wish I could think of soimnhetg smart like that!
Kelly @ Mostly Homemade Mom says
These look so moist and perfect for Easter!
Brandy M says
My kiddo is a Carrot Cake nut! I am going to have to try these for him! I bet he would love these, they look awesome!
Thanks Brandy! Let me know if you make them for the son!
Rachel Cooks says
These look so rich, dense and moist -- everything a blondie should be! I can't wait to try them.
Thank you, Rachel! Let me know how you like them. 🙂
Very interesting and unusual blondies. Especially like the carrot angle. 🙂
But so very good!
Cindy @ Hun... What's for Dinner? says
These look so chewy, just the way I love my blondies. Love your twist on them!
Thanks Cindy! They were delish!
Oh my do these sound good! And I love the suggestion warmed up with ice cream!
Thank you! They were so dense and rich. Gahhh. I wish I had ice cream to put on top. lol
I don't even know what to say, this made things so much earsei!
This sounds very interesting but very good.
They are quite tasty!
Ashley (QLCC) says
Yeah so why do I EVER use ANYTHING but browned butter? It is simply the best 🙂
haha! It is true, brown butter is the way to go!
J @ A Hot Southern Mess says
These look amazing! And then the butterscotch chips!?! I'm in love! I bet this would be so good with ice cream or with coconut frosting! Yum!
Thank you! Oh, coconut frosting. That's a brilliant idea!
Bridget/The Recipe Wench says
Oh my, YES! Warmed and topped with vanilla ice cream is an excellent suggestion that I can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing at the Inspire Me Mondays Link-Up!
Thanks for hosting! I'm full of suggestions and now cravings.. again. lol
Joy @ Yesterfood says
I love the idea of carrot cake blondies- they sound so good! Thank you for sharing them with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- I have pinned and am featuring them at this week's party! We get started tonight (Mon 4/6) at 8:00 pm. Eastern time! Thanks for partying with us! 🙂
Thank you so much, Joy!
Worse recipe I ever tried. I had a feeling reading the recipe something was missing wasn't quite sure what it was. Do not try this recipe. Just a waste of your time, and ingredients.
Miranda C. says
So sorry you feel this way! I have made these many times with success. Hopefully you find some of my other recipes to be better 🙂
Linda PANACEK says
When ever my husband works a shift in the ER I send baked goods always looking for something good. I have tried new recipes which were just ok so they did not make the cut to send to the ER. However. These are very good and pass the taste taste.