Sometimes, I make recipes with a certain someone in mind. Today's mini chocolate peppermint patty cupcakes recipe was brought to you by the inspiration of Lucian, my three-year-old. He loves peppermint patties to pieces and even nags for them every single time we go to a checkout counter. I know, it's all part of being a parent.
These mini cupcakes topped with itty bitty peppermint patties are so darn adorable. Love. Them. Guess what? I stuffed these tiny cakes with some peppermint patties too. It was the perfect surprise!
These cupcakes are incredibly moist and chocolatey! Of course, my frosting had to go with the theme so I made some peppermint frosting by using a little peppermint extract. It's so sweet, but refreshing.
These dark chocolate cupcakes aren't more than a couple of bites, so I would definitely say diet friendly too. Just kidding! Don't send me hate mail for saying that. They are also the perfect size to sneak. You know, when you have little ones and tell them that they can't have a cookie or cupcakes before dinner, but that rule doesn't apply to you. Yeah, that kind of sneaking.
Mini Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cupcakes
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Sprinkles to garnish
- 34 mini peppermint patties to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a mini cupcake pan with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the olive oil and sugar. Mix on medium until combined.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs one at a time. Once the first egg is completely incorporated, add in the next egg. Mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides.
- Add in the sour cream and mix on medium until combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low until the flour is just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and stir in any remaining flour.
- Scoop the batter into the cups. Fill about ⅔ full with batter.
- Add a mini peppermint patty to the center of each cupcake. I stood them on their side and not flat.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick off to the side of the candy. If it comes out with moist crumbs or clean, it's done. If there's still batter, let it bake an additional minute or two.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter. Mix on medium until it's creamed.
- Add in the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and peppermint extract. Beat on low until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, beat on high for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag with a 1M tip. Pipe a swirl on each cooled cupcake.
- Add some white sprinkles and a mini peppermint patty to the top of frosted cupcakes.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
My hubby's co-worker had a birthday last week. He took a couple of these to work for her. She messaged me the next morning to let me know she had them for breakfast. I say these are the perfect breakfast item or pretty much any time at all.
What other candy bars would you like to see stuffed inside of a baked good? I say Reese's for sure!