I love donuts. I love deep fried donuts that make you feel so naughty you need to go to church after eating one. I also have found a new love for baked donuts. They are so light and airy. They don't take hours to make and I can wear them on my fingers like giant rings. I'm just kidding about that last part, sort of.
So, to make these amazing little gems you'll need a donut pan. Here's the pan that I got.
The light, fluffy insides had a beautiful tint to them from the strawberry compote I had made for it. I used fresh strawberries for my compote, but you can easily substitute fresh for frozen. You can even substitute the strawberries for some other fruit compote, whatever your heart desires.
This is off subject, but I want to share that every time I see something bright red and pure white I think of Alice in Wonderland. I love love love that movie, especially with Johnny Depp as the mad hatter. I love any Alice in Wonderland movie or cartoon actually.
Let's get cracking on this recipe.
Baked Strawberry Donuts with White Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup fresh strawberries hulled and diced
- ¼ cup sugar
White Chocolate Ganache
- 1 ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 T. corn syrup
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add diced strawberries and sugar. Stir occasionally.
- After ten minutes I start to help the berries along by mashing them with my spoon.
- The compote will have some small pieces in it, if you don't want them in the finish product you can strain them out. The entire process took me about 18 minutes.
- After the compote has come to the perfect consistency, take it off the stove and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray the donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, add the egg and milk. Whisk until blended.
- Add the butter, strawberry compote, and vanilla. Whisk until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Once all the dry ingredients are combined, add a small amount into the wet mixture and whisk.
- Keep adding small amounts and whisking until all the dry mixture is incorporated into the batter.
- Scoop the batter into a disposable piping bag and cut a small hole into the tip.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the batter. Only fill the donut pans half way. Be sure to not overfill the pans. I like to make a second layer towards the outside of the pan so the donut hole doesn't get covered up. If it does, feel free to cut the hole out with the scissors.
- Place into the oven for 8 minutes or until they're done. The bottoms will be golden brown and the tops will be a pale pink.
- Let cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes. Place the donuts onto the cooling rack to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips, corn syrup, and heavy cream.
- Place into the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Take the bowl out and whisk until everything is combined.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes until the ganache has thickened.
- Dip the cooled donuts into the ganache and place them back onto the cooling rack.
- Add sprinkles and let dry.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
I hope you enjoy the baked strawberry donuts with white chocolate ganache.