This easy strawberry mandarin orange dump cake is the perfect spring dessert! It's bright, fruity, and just so simple to make. Grab some strawberry pie filling, a couple of jars of mandarin oranges and get baking! If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my Strawberry Shortcake Cake.
This strawberry mandarin orange dump cake is so simple to whip up. If you love strawberry and orange together, this is the dessert for you. The yellow cake mix becomes dense and buttery. The strawberry pie filling coats the mandarin oranges and makes the prettiest color.
How to make Strawberry Mandarin Orange Dump Cake
What I love about dump cakes is that you literally dump everything into a dish. Does it get any easier than that? It really can't.
Also, this cake literally only has 4 ingredients.
The first step to this dump cake is to thoroughly drain the mandarin oranges and add them to the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
Add dollops of the strawberry pie filling on top of the mandarin oranges. Using an offset spatula, spread out the pie filling to cover the oranges.
I bet you can't guess what's next!
I sprinkled the dry cake mix on top of the strawberry pie filling. Sprinkle being the keyword. Make sure you cover all of the pie filling.
Last part is to drizzle the butter all over the top of the dry cake mix.
Throw it in the oven until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Strawberry Mandarin Orange Dump Cake Ingredients
- Mandarin Oranges - I like to buy the mandarin oranges that are in the plastic jars. The mandarin oranges in the tin cans taste off to me.
- Strawberry Pie Filling - I'm a big fan of the store-bought strawberry pie filling. I don't have a brand preference, but I did use the Lucky leaf brand for this recipe.
- Dry Boxed Cake Mix - I've tried it with both a yellow cake mix and an orange cake mix. I prefer the yellow cake mix, but the orange is delicious too. It's just harder to find.
- Butter - I really like to use salted butter to pour on top because it adds a hint of sweet and saltiness to the strawberry mandarin orange dump cake.
Can I substitute the Strawberry Pie Filling?
Yes. If you want to use another pie filling like cherry to make a cherry orange dump cake, do it! I'm not sure how the other pie fillings would taste with mandarin oranges, but you're welcome to try blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, and any other flavor that I missed.
What Cake Mix Should I Use?
As far as flavors, I would recommend either a yellow cake mix or orange cake mix. For the brand, I suppose it doesn't really matter. I always gravitate to the Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mixes. Are they better than other ones? I don't know. It's just what I always grab.
The orange cake mix is a Duncan Hines Supreme cake mix.
Strawberry Mandarin Orange Dump Cake
- 2 3.5 oz. jars mandarin oranges drained (1 ¾ to 2 cups)
- 21 oz. canned strawberry pie filling
- 15.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the drained mandarin oranges to the bottom of the pan. Spread them out.
- Add dollops of strawberry pie filling on top of the mandarin oranges. Spread out with an offset spatula.
- Evenly distribute the cake mix on top of the strawberry pie filling. Be sure to get all of the edges with cake mix too.
- Drizzle the melted butter on top of the cake mix.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 55 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool. Scoop and serve.