This strawberry lemon curd has the perfect spring flavored filling to slather on top of cakes, cupcakes, and even cookies. It's made with fresh strawberries that are pureed and freshly squeezed lemon juice and has the prettiest color that will brighten up any dessert!I LOVE making new kinds of curds! As soon as spring has sprung, I'm out buying fresh fruit. Then I realize I have nothing to do with them and start thinking of recipes to make. My go-to seems to be different flavored curds like raspberry lime curd and grapefruit curd.
Okay, so I eat my fair share of plain fruit before they even get a chance to become a recipe. I'm especially guilty of it after a long winter and there's nothing better than some fresh, juicy fruit after months of heavy comfort foods. Well, in my opinion at least. My husband would tell a different story but he really doesn't like any fruits or veggies unless they're in dessert form. He will eat bananas but that's only after he runs to avoid leg cramps.
Strawberries are my favorite thing to go pick. I don't really dig the bending over, but the smell of the fields as you drive into them to go pick strawberries is literally the best thing ever. I normally walk away with a killer backache and sweat dripping off of me, but well worth it. We go as a family and pick until our two 4 quart baskets are full. Even Lucian gets in on it, which I love.
So we're incredibly lucky that we have a local strawberry patch that we can visit every year. Since I live in New York, it will probably be another two months before we can have perfectly ripe local strawberries though. Booo!
I can't wait to show you what I used the curd for! Stay tuned for my next post that will go live on Thursday and find out! It's worth the wait, I promise.
Strawberry Lemon Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 T. cornstarch
- ¾ cup strawberry puree
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 T. butter chilled
- ½ tsp. strawberry extract
- In a medium saucepan, add in the sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
- Add in the ¾ cup of strawberry puree and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Once incorporated, put the saucepan over medium heat and let the mixture come up to a boil. Let it boil for 2 minutes. Whisk constantly to avoid burning.
- Add the egg yolks into a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour about ½ cup of the strawberry mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk immediately to avoid cooking the yolks. This is tempering the yolks.
- Add the tempered yolks into the saucepan with the strawberry mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- Let the strawberry lemon curd come back up to a boil, and let boil for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chilled butter and strawberry extract. Whisk until the butter is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is sitting on top of the mixture so a skin doesn't form. Place into the fridge to chill and thicken up more.
- Store in the fridge. Use in desserts, as a spread, or just eat by the spoonful.
One curd recipe isn't enough, you must have these ones too!