This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.#HolidaySweetTreats #CollectiveBiasI really REALLY love sweet potatoes and I'm going crazy for these sweet potato bars. They have a gingersnap crust, thick sweet potato filling with a holiday spice to it and a fudge topping and marshmallow drizzle. If you're not into pie crusts, these bars are a solution! I love the creamy texture of these bars. The smooth thick texture of these bars are amazing!
This weekend I went out to my very dead garden and dug up my sweet potatoes that I grew. I remember when I found my sweet potato plants at the store. I didn't quite know if they were supposed to grow like regular potatoes but I threw them into the ground. I know I could have searched it, but somehow it kept slipping my mind. The moral of the story is they do indeed grow just like regular potatoes except they have a vine above ground instead of a upright plant.
I made my way down to Target this weekend while we were in the big town of Binghamton. It was my birthday weekend and got to do whatever I wanted. It helped ease the pain of being only a year away from 30 now. While I was there, I picked up tons of adorable holiday decorations, treats and Smucker's Toppings. Don't judge. The toppings come in handy in loads of recipes like these sweet potato bars. I also thoroughly enjoy eating them by the tablespoon. It's the quickest way to indulge and dispose of the evidence before your four-year-old walks into the room.
For my birthday, my sweet, sweet husband takes me out to dinner. My dinner always includes honey mustard chicken with bacon, mushrooms and cheese and a baked sweet potato with all the fixings. I'm a creature of habit. This is what got me all amped up for such a delicious baked good.
Sweet Potato Bars
- 1 + ¾ cups gingersnap crumbs
- 5 T . butter melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp . ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp . ground ginger
- ¼ tsp . ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp . salt
- 2 cups sweet potatoes skinned and pureed
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 + ¼ cups evaporated milk
- ¼ cup Smucker's Butterscotch Topping
- 11.75 oz Smucker's Hot Fudge Topping
- 2 T . Smucker's Marshmallow Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 square baking pan with tin foil.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the gingersnap crumbs and butter, Mix until the butter has coated all the crumbs.
- Dump the crumbs into the prepared 8x8 square pan. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the pan and out to all of the edges. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to spread out the ground spices.
- Add in the pureed sweet potatoes and mix on medium until incorporated.
- Add in the eggs and and vanilla extract and mix until the eggs are thoroughly incorporated.
- Add in the evaporated milk and butterscotch. Mix until the milk is incorporated.
- Pour the filling on top of the crust. Spread the filling out evenly and to the edges.
- Place the sweet potato bars into the 350 degree oven and bake for 40 - 50 minutes until the edges are set up and the center is still jiggly.
- Remove the bars from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Add the jar of hot fudge topping onto the cooled bars. Place in the fridge to chill preferable overnight.
- Before cutting and serving, take a spoon with the marshmallow topping and drizzle it back and forth on top of the fudge topping. Cut and serve!