If you have some extra apples on hand, give this Instant Pot Applesauce a try. An incredible recipe for making pressure cooker applesauce. So simple, filled with sweet and warm spices, and the perfect dessert to snack on or serve up the family. Check out my Instant Pot Applesauce recipe today!
I recently made applesauce in the Instant Pot and I was shocked at how hands-off the recipe is. I have been making slow cooker applesauce and stovetop for years, now with my Instant Pot, it is my go-to method.
Instant Pot Applesauce
If you are heading to the apple orchards or planning to buy some extra apples, this is one of my recommended apple recipes to try. I grew up eating homemade applesauce, it was always a treat to eat that warm applesauce! Try my red hot applesauce for a cinnamon twist!
Here are more apple recipes to try out
- Apple Fritter Cake | This cake gives you the flavor of a cake with a pairing of an apple fritter. Incredible, flavorful, and super moist. A must make cake.
- Poison Apple Cake Pops | These cake pops are bright in color and sweet in flavor. A great dessert to share with your Halloween party friends.
- Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings | Here is a really easy recipe that uses crescent rolls to make easy apple dumplings. A few minutes of prep is all this recipe takes.
- Apple Donuts | These apple donuts are soft pillowy inside and sweet crunchy outside. They're made with applesauce and are perfect with your morning coffee.
How To Make Applesauce In Instant Pot
The recipe is so easy, with minimal steps. Just prep apples, toss in the Instant Pot, add in your other ingredients, stir and cook. Do a quick release, and then allow the apples to cool down a bit. Then you will take the mixture to the blender and choose how thin or thick you would like your applesauce to be. I share both methods below for you to know exactly how to get the consistency you would like.
Can You Use Sweetened Apple Juice
Sweetened apple juice will make your applesauce on the sweeter side. I recommend if you are going to use sweetened apple juice to do part apple juice and the other part water so that it isn't overly sweet.
Can I Substitute The Apple Juice For Water
Yes, you are welcome to use water to replace apple juice in the apple sauce recipe. It will slightly adjust the flavor of your applesauce but not by much. I recommend using a filtered water.
What Other Apples Can I Use If I Don't Have Gala Apples
You want to reach for a firmer apple that will hold up a bit as it bakes. Here are some other varieties of apples that you can use in replace of the gala apple. Granny Smith, Jonagold, Fuji, Honeycrisps or McIntosh. Now you could add a mix of apples that will add dimension to your applesauce. A mix of Granny Smith and Fuji or Honeycrisp will give you a mix of tart and sweet.
Instant Pot Applesauce
- 9 medium (2.5 lbs) gala apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add the chopped apples to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add in sugar, salt, lemon juice, and apple juice. Stir until the sugar is well combined.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker and set it to manual high for 5 minutes. Allow for a quick pressure release.
For smooth applesauce
- Allow apples to cool.
- Add the apples to a food processor or use a stick blender to process/blend until completely smooth.
For chunky applesauce
- Mash with a potato masher until the applesauce is to a chunky consistency you're happy with.
- Add the ground cinnamon to the applesauce and stir until combined.
- Let cool to room temperature if you opted for chunky applesauce.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)