These easy Halloween push pops went over so well with Lucian. He has a cute little black face and fingers but I made him one happy little boy with these. He has yet to try those Flintstones push pops, but I bet he would love those too. Wait, do they even still make those? I remember eating them as a little girl. I know he doesn’t know who the Flintstones are. We occasionally throw on the Boomerang channel to see what he says, but he’s never impressed.
I used this recipe for two different Halloween projects. I figured I had so much fun with this first one, I would do a twist on it and make some cute cupcakes. I’ll be sharing those Friday so come back to see them!
I got my push pop molds from my monthly subscription of My Bakers Box. Along with the push pop molds, I got sprinkles, white frosting, cupcake liners and decorative spider wrappers, and zombie sugar dec-ons. You may see a lot of the other goodies on Friday’s post. 😉
If you’re interested in getting My Bakers Box, I have a promo code for you. You can get $5 bucks off by using the code “COOKIEDOUGH” when checking out. I would love if you joined me in getting the My Bakers Box and making these recipes with me!
Easy Halloween Push Pops
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- black gel paste color
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 - 6 T . heavy cream
- Electric Orange Electric Green, Electric Purple and Regal Purple
- Halloween sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 1/4 sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the boxed cake mix like instructed. Mine required 3 eggs, 1/3 cup butter and 1 cup of water. Be sure to use what your boxed cake mix requires.
- Add in black gel paste color. Add enough to make the cake batter black or gray. If you don't want to use as much food coloring, use a chocolate cake instead. The color will darken up slightly as it bakes.
- Spread into the 1/4 sheet pan.
- Place into the oven and bake for 17 minutes or until done. Check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean or with moist crumbs, it's done. If there's batter, let it bake a little longer.
- Let cool completely.
- Find a cutter the size of the push pop opening or slightly smaller. I just used the push pop container and cut out all of the circles and then washed the push pop mold.
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter, powdered sugar and heavy cream. Mix on low until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Turn the mixer on high and whip for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Divide the frosting into thirds.
- Color each third the one of the halloween gel paste colors. I combined the electric purple and regal purple to get the perfect purple, in my opinion. Add as much or as little. I added quite a bit to get the deep colors.
- Place each color into a sandwich bag. Cut the corner off each bag.
- Press a piece of cake into the push pop mold.
- Pipe in the first color of your choice. I used purple first.
- Add another piece of cake.
- Pipe in the second color. I used orange.
- Add another piece of cake.
- Pipe in the third color. I used green and a piping tip.
- Add Halloween sprinkles to the top.
- Repeat with the 3 remaining push pop molds.
I was sent the My Bakers Box to create ideas and tips with. I was not compensated in any way. If you would like to join me in having some fun, head over and subscribe to next months box and get $5.00 by using the promo code “COOKIEDOUGH”. We can make some incredibly fun recipes together!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up to get my FREE Baking Substitutions and Conversions sheets! Join the 5000 others who are receiving our dessert newsletters and baking challenges.