It's that time of the month again where we get our peanut butter on. I got a little creative with my peanut butter popcorn balls that happen to be coated with chocolate and sprinkled with bits of Butterfingers. Can you guess what September's theme is? I'll help you out! It's peanut butter and popcorn just in time for the Halloween craze.
Do you think of Halloween treats when you think of popcorn or is that just me? When I was little I remember one particular house always giving out popcorn with candy corn in it. We never ate it because you just never know. She was an older woman so I assume she didn't know the rule of not eating things that aren't in a sealed package. Anyway, popcorn + candy corn is heavenly. Just make it yourself, don't eat a strangers!
These chocolate covered peanut butter popcorn balls look like slightly lumpier and a much larger version of my butterfinger bites. Those do not have popcorn in them but they are highly addictive If you enjoy your peanut butter and chocolate as much as I do, you should probably just live on my site. I was going to recommend checking out the butterfinger bites which you should do, but I post a large number of yummy chocolate peanut butter things that you will need in your life that you need to just hang here with me.
Seriously. Probably at least 2 recipes a month that involve chocolate and peanut butter.
Do you guys like recipes like this? I have another popcorn ball recipe that I have got to make for you! It's made with molasses and screams Fall. Before I put that together, I need to find myself a super large bowl. I had one heck of a time trying to get my marshmallow mixture mixed into the popcorn without it flying all over. Needless to say, it was a chase between myself and the dogs to get to the popcorn that was landing on the floor.
No, I wasn't being mean or throwing it back into the bowl. I had used butterfingers inside of the popcorn balls and I didn't want them to get a hold of any chocolate. No sickie dogs today, friends.
Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 10.5 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 4 T. salted butter
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¼ cups butterfinger baking bits divided
- 2 ½ cups chocolate candy melts
- 9 wooden sticks
- Lay a piece of wax paper down on the counter.
- Add the popped popcorn to a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, add in the mini marshmallows, butter, and peanut butter. Place over medium heat and let melt. Stir occasionally.
- Once the marshmallow mixture is smooth, pour it into the bowl of popcorn.
- Mix the popcorn to coat it.
- Add 1 cup of the butterfinger baking bits in with the popcorn and mix it in.
- Grease your hands with non-stick cooking spray. Form 9 popcorn balls with your hands. Press them together firmly so they hold together. Place and the wax paper and let cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add in the chocolate candy melts. Place into the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir. Repeat again if the chocolate isn't quite smooth yet.
- Dip the sticks into the chocolate and place each one into a popcorn ball. Let the chocolate harden.
- Dip each popcorn ball into the chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drop off the popcorn balls and place back on the wax paper. Immediately after coating the popcorn balls, sprinkle the butterfinger baking bits on the top of the wet chocolate.
- Let dry and eat!
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Join us in the peanut butter fun over at The Peanut Butter Recipe Box Facebook Group! We would love to see you there! Check out the recipes we made while you're at it!
Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Peanut Butter Oreo Popcorn from Kleinworth & Co.
Peanut Butter Popcorn Squares from Bake Then Eat