For all my maple bacon lovers, this dessert is for you. (A little for myself too.)
Hello sweet and salty maple bacon rice krispies treats. I know I’ve said it time and time again, but I LOVEEEEE myself some sweet and salty especially when it’s maple and bacon paired together. These rice krispies are soft and chewy with bits of savory bacon in it. I had to go a step further and add maple frosting to the top of the treats. I couldn’t resist. I also have a delicious cookies and cream rice crispy treats recipe if sweet and salty isn’t your thing.
This post was supposed to go up last week and it was scheduled, but for whatever reason wordpress failed me. I was recovering from seeing an oral surgeon and getting an abscessed tooth yanked and my son was a sick, sick boy and didn’t have the energy to check until it was too late. Forgive me, I’m back at it now!
I have a bunch of posts going out this week and probably every week until Christmas. I just have so many ideas! I’m putting together a series that I can’t wait to start later this month. You guys are going to LOVE IT! I hope. 😀
Maple Bacon Rice Krispies Treats
- 11 pieces of bacon
- 10 oz . marshmallows
- 6 T . butter
- 1/2 T . maple extract
- 5 cups rice krispies
- 4 T . butter room temperature
- 1 tsp . maple extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp . milk
- Cook 11 pieces of bacon until crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside. It's ideal to make this ahead of time even.
- Spray a 11x7 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. I don't think it's necessary about I did it to make sure my treats came out without a fight.
- In a large saucepan, add in the marshmallows and butter. Place over medium heat and let it melt together.
- Chop the crispy bacon into tiny pieces. Set aside 1 T. of the crumbled bacon for garnish.
- Once the marshmallows and butter are completely melted and gooey, add in the maple extract. Stir until combined.
- Add in the rice krispies and the crumbled bacon that isn't reserved for garnish. Stir to cover the krispies thoroughly.
- Pour the rice krispies into the prepared 11x7 pan. Using a piece of wax paper or parchment paper, press the krispies down into the pan. I don't press down super hard since I like my treats less hard and more chewy. Let cool in pan.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the butter, maple extract, powdered sugar and milk. Mix on low until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat an additional minute or two until light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled rice krispies treats. If they're the least bit warm, your frosting will become a gooey mess so be patient!
- Sprinkle the reserved tablespoon of bacon on top of the treats. Cut and serve!
Do you love sweet and salty? How about the maple and bacon combination? Let me know in the comments!