These strawberry hand pies are so cute with the little heart cutout in them. They have a flaky pie crust and a homemade strawberry pie filling. They're the perfect spring dessert or for Valentine's Day!
Strawberry hand pies. Somehow, I think they taste better than classic strawberry pies. I think it's because there's more delicious, flaky pie crust to enjoy with the strawberry pie filling. It helps that the crust is a beautiful golden color with a little heart cutout.
Strawberries are one of my favorites, in case you haven't noticed. If you love them and missed my last post for strawberries and cream trifles, you should probably check them out. They are oooo-la-la yum.
I'm also a pretty big fan of lemon especially when spring comes around. Lemon hand pies would be perfect to serve alongside these strawberry hand pies.
These little strawberry hand pies with the vivid red hearts in the center remind of the queen of hearts poem. I've always been pretty obsessed with Alice in Wonderland which is where I think I may have learned it. By the way, pretty psyched they announced they were making a new movie with all the same people called Alice Through the Looking Glass. I'll be standing in line to see that in the theater. Tim Burton + Alice in Wonderland = Absolute love.
Strawberry Filling for Hand Pies
To make the strawberry filling for the hand pies, you'll need 4 simple ingredients.
- strawberries - with the tops removed and the strawberries diced. You can also slice the strawberries rather than dice them if you prefer.
- sugar - granulated sugar works the best.
- cornstarch - to prevent lumps of cornstarch, I like to add it in with the sugar and mix until combined.
- vanilla extract - this should be added after the strawberry filling for the hand pies is cooked and removed from the heat otherwise it will burn off and be a total waste.
Now let's make the strawberry filling for our hand pies! In a saucepan, add in the sugar and cornstarch. Stir to make sure the two are well combined.
Add in all of the diced strawberries, but ½ a cup. Stir to combine the sugar and strawberries and place on medium heat.
Once the strawberry filling comes up to a boil, let it boil for about 4 minutes until the filling has thickened. Remove from the heat and add in the remaining strawberries and vanilla extract.
Let the filling cool down to room temperature. To speed up the process, cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge.
How To Make Strawberry Hand Pies
I'm not a pie crust expert, so I always give the option in most of my recipes to either use store-bought or homemade. In this recipe, I used the recipe from my raspberry pie to make these strawberry hand pies.
So now that the pie crust and strawberry filling for the hand pies is taken care of, let's assemble these cute little hand pies.
Roll the pie dough out onto a clean, floured countertop. Cut out 6-inch circles of pie crust. You can use a 6-inch cake pan or a bowl to cut around for your circle of pie dough.
Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the strawberry filling and place it a slightly off-center on the circle.
Whip up some egg wash. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash around the edges of the dough circle. Fold the circle in half. Press the dough together with your fingers to seal the hand pies. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the hand pies to ensure they stay sealed.
Transfer the hand pies to a parchment paper lined baking pan. Use a knife to cut small hearts on the top of these strawberry hand pies.
Brush the tops of the hand pies with more of the egg wash. Place them into a preheated oven and bake until golden brown.
Strawberry Hand Pies
- store-bought or homemade pie dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium saucepan, add in sugar and cornstarch. Stir to combine. This will prevent lumps.
- Add in 1 ½ cups strawberries. Turn on medium heat and stir often. Mash the strawberries with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil for 4 minutes until thick. The filling will become thick.
- Add the remaining ½ cup fresh strawberries and vanilla extract into the mixture and stir in.
- Place in a bowl and cover. Chill in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Generously flour your countertop. Roll out your pie dough to about ⅛ inch thick. Cut out 6-inch circles. I used a small cake pan for mine.
- Spread about 2 - 3 tablespoons of strawberry filling on one half of the circle.
- In a small bowl, add in the egg and water for the egg wash. Using a fork, whip until the egg is thoroughly combined with the water it doesn't look separated.
- Using a pastry brush, spread egg wash around the edges of the pie crust. Fold over the pie crust so it's half a circle and press the edges down.
- Place the hand pies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Using a clean fork, press the edges carefully but firmly to seal them. You don't want the filling to leak out!
- Cut steam holes in the top of each hand pie with a knife. I used a round piping tip and cut out two holes and then a V shape with a knife to form a heart.
- Use the pastry brush to egg wash to entire top and sides of the hand pies.
- Place the cookie sheet with the hand pies in the oven for 18 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the filling is bubbly.