It's no secret that I love strawberries and all the syrupy goodness that it comes with when sugar is involved. So I incorporated it into these strawberries and cream trifles. I could sit down and spoon the strawberries and syrup by itself until it is completely gone. It's true and I've probably done it a couple of times in my life. I, however, toughed it out this time and made trifles instead. Trifles that happen to be perfect for Valentine's Day!
I can't wait to give these trifles another shot when I get some fresh strawberries from the strawberry farm near me this spring. The smell alone from freshly picked strawberries makes me go crazy. I start drooling and before you know it, I've ate several dozen strawberries without the sugar added though. Can you tell I'm itching for winter to be done with?
Let's make a list of things that have been hard on me this winter.
- My pants
Mehh. That's all I could think of. hehe. Still, I'm ready for the next season to happen. What about you?
Strawberries and Cream Trifles
- 4 cups fresh strawberries hulled and halved
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz . cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 30 vanilla wafer cookies crushed
- In a saucepan, add in the strawberries and sugar. Place over medium heat and let cook for 23 - 25 minutes until the strawberries are broke down. Stir occasionally. I mash my strawberries as they cook with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Set the mixture in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge until completely cooled.
- In a cold mixing bowl, add in the heavy cream. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add in the powdered sugar. Continue to beat until it becomes thick.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the cream cheese. Mix with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Add in one cup of the cooled strawberry syrup mixture in with the cream cheese. Mix until incorporated.
- Add half of the whipped cream into the mixture. Using a hand mixture, incorporate the whipped cream into the cream cheese.
- Place the mousse into a piping bag with a straight tip or coupler.
- Add the remaining whipped cream in a piping bag with a 1M tip.
- In your trifle dishes, add in some cooled strawberries and syrup.
- Pipe a layer of mousse.
- Sprinkle a nice layer of vanilla wafer cookies.
- Pipe a layer of whipped cream.
- Repeat all of the layers except the cookies. You can add more or less of any of the things too.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)