It’s that time of the month again, we’re having another peanut butter bash! I adopted a recipe for the best zucchini bars from my blog and made peanut butter zucchini squares. Zucchini is the perfect ingredient to add into a recipe. It provides moisture to give you a perfectly moist cake or bar. I dig it!
I loaded the bars with peanut butter, because why not? To finish them off I thought a healthy layer of cream cheese frosting was in order. Yeah, I did awesome. You’ll never have an over abundance of zucchini after you give this recipe a try! If I can feed something that has a touch of green in it to my husband and have him tell me they’re good, I know I’ve hit it out of the park.
I didn’t just add zucchini to these bars though, there are bits of carrots too. These bars are basically healthy! *wink wink* Well, aside from the vegetable oil, granulated and brown sugar, and excessive amount of cream cheese frosting. Minor details, right? lol I make myself giggle.
I got the original recipe that I used from my Aunt Skip. I hit her up for recipes years ago, because the lady can cook. I haven’t pulled out my family recipes in a while, but I should share a few more soon. While I’m at it, I should reshoot the best zucchini bars recipe. Vertical pictures do so much better than horizontal. Man, things I wish I knew while starting out blogging.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1/4 tsp . baking powder
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- ½ cup salted butter 1 stick, room temperature
- 1 8 oz . pkg cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp . vanilla
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Grease a 11x7 baking pan. I lined with parchment paper and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray as well. That makes it easier for me to pull the bars out to cut.
- In a large bowl, add oil, granulated and brown sugar, peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer on medium until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add in flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir together with a spatula.
- Combined the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer on low until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in the zucchini and carrots and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour out onto a prepared pan. Spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 - 47 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the squares, if it comes out with moist crumbs it's done. If batter comes out, let it bake longer.
- Let cool and frost.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with the hand mixer until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add in vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix on low until the powdered sugar is well incorporated. Turn mixer on high and mix for an additional minute or two.
- Spread on cooled bars.
Join us in the peanut butter fun over at The Peanut Butter Recipe Box Facebook Group! We would love to see you there!