These Mini Apple Pies are so cute and fun to make. They're filled with cinnamon, sugar, chunks of sweet baking apples, and baked until the crust is golden brown. Who doesn't love Single-serve apple pies with a homemade apple pie filling?! More pie recipes to see over here!
If you enjoy apple desserts, I have a few more for you to try out. Applesauce cake, caramel apple crisp, or even try my apple fritter cake.
Mini Apple Pies
These apple pies are a fun weeknight dessert, bake sale item, or to serve up during the holidays. Tender sweet apples, flaky pie crust, all in one mini pie recipe.
What Are The Best Apples For Apple Pies
For this particular recipe I reached for Honeycrisp apples. They are super sweet and bake up wonderfully. Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious and more are great apples to bake with.
Some varieties of apples don't hold up as well when baked, and can become too soggy in texture. Feel free to go for a Honeyscrisp for a sweet flavor or Granny Smith if you want more of a tart apple pie.
Or go out on a limb and do a mix of apples, you will love the end result. It adds tons of flavor!
Homemade Pie Crust vs Store Bought Pie Crust
Feel free to make your own pie crust or head to the store about buy pre-made dough. You can buy pie crust dough in the refrigerator section you simply roll out. It is easy, eliminates some prep steps, and tastes amazing.
But, if you prefer homemade pie crust, take the time to make it. It will make these mini pies even more amazing!
Can I Double This Recipe
Want to make extra pies? Go right ahead. You can grab another muffin tin and make extra. If your tins both won't fit in the oven at the same time, then just batch cook them. I am able to fit 2 muffin tins in my oven at one time.
Can I Use Canned Pie Filling
Make this dessert even easier and reach for canned pie filling. It will make prep take just minutes. I just enjoy how simple the pie filling is to make homemade.
But get creative and use canned if you prefer. Or step out and use other kinds of pie filling as well to add a variety of hand pies into the mix.
How to make Mini Apple Pies
Start by peeling, coring, and chopping the apples. You can sprinkle a little lemon juice on top or Fruit Fresh to keep them from browning. I don't think it's necessary though.
In a separate small bowl, add in the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix to combine and then sprinkle over top of the apples. Stir until the apples are coating with the mixture and set aside.
Roll out the pie crust and use a 4-inch circle cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles. Press the circles of pie crust into a muffin tin and fill with the homemade apple pie filling.
Roll out the remaining pie crust. You may need to reroll what you've already used. Cut 2 ¼ inch circles using a cookie cutter or a cup and place it on top of the pies. You can also cut small strips for lattice work.
For a lattice crust, you'll need 5 to 6 3-inch long pieces for each mini pie. They only need to be about ¼ inch wide since they're just covering small openings.
Once the top of the mini pies are on, make an egg wash with the egg and water and whisk together with a fork. Brush on using a pastry brush and bake.
Do Apple Pies Freeze Well
Go right ahead and freeze any pies you don't plan to eat right away. I have put them in a freezer bag and even a freezer friendly container. Just make sure you use wax paper in between layers if you stack your pies.
That way the pies won't stick together. Then remove however many you want. Then microwave for a fresh out of the oven apple pie flavor.
How to store Mini Apple Pies
Let the pies cool completely and then places the pies in an airtight container and store at room tempeature for up to 3 to 4 days.
If you want to keep your mini pies around longer, place them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
How long will these mini pies last?
If stored properly, the pies will last 3 to 4 days at room temperature and up to a week in the refrigerator.
Special Tools for this Recipe:
Mini Apple Pies
- 2 pie crusts homemade or store-bought
- 3 cups Honeycrisp apples about 3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- ½ tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add in the diced apples.
- In a small bowl, add in the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Add the sugar and flour mixture to the bowl of apples and stir until the apples are coated. Set aside.
- Roll the pie crust out to about ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a round 3.5 inch to 4-inch cookie cutter or cup, cut out 12 circles. You may need to reroll the pie crust to get all 12 circles.
- Gently press a circle into each cavity of a cupcake pan.
- Fill each pie crust with the apple pie filling. There should be enough pie filling for all 12 mini pies.
- Set the cupcake pan aside.
- Roll out the second piece of pie crust to about ⅛-inch thickness on the lightly floured surface.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut small strips in the pie crust for the tops of the pies. You can also use a 2 ¼-inch circle cookie cutter to make discs for the top.
- Add the strips or discs to the top of each pie.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and water until combined.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on the tops of the pies.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 23 to 25 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the filling is slightly bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 to 20 minutes in the cupcake pan before removing. Let cool completely and serve with a dollop of whipped cream!
- I usually sprinkle fruit fresh on my apples to keep them from turning brown. You can also sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice on them.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Leave a Reply