Tender caramel cookies filled with a delicious dulce de leche and topped with a beautiful chocolate drizzle.
These extremely tender caramel thumbprint cookies are amazing. My original idea was caramel stuffed cookies, but these babies knocked my socks off. They are easy to throw together and have a pretty wow presentation.
I haven't participated in the creative cookie exchange in a little while, but I'm back in action this month. The theme was caramel so I went with dulce de leche. I happened to have a can in my cabinet, because lets be honest, I have far too many baking supplies in my cabinet. It's an addiction that I welcome. I have to giggle because Wesley always tells everyone if a zombie apocalypse ever does happen, we could live off from baking supplies for months. I doubt anyone would complain about eating cans of dulce de leche and chocolate chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There are a ton of recipes out there that show you how to make dulce de leche out of sweetened condensed milk. I bought mine at walmart already made into dulce de leche (aff. link), but the caramel made from sweetened condensed milk would work perfectly. I can seriously eat this stuff out of the can. It's ahhhmazing.
Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- ¼ cup melting chocolate
- ½ tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the butter, shortening, ½ cup dulce de leche caramel and 1 cup granulated sugar. Mix on medium until light and fluffy. It will take about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the egg and vanilla bean paste or extract. Mix on medium until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowol
- Add in the flour and baking powder and mix until just incorporated.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop out the dough. Roll the dough between your two palms.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll the balls of dough into the sugar to completely cover them.
- Press your thumb into the center of the cookies. Fill the thumb hole of the cookies with the dulce de leche.
- Place 6 on the prepared baking tray. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Add the melting chocolate and shortening in a sandwich bag. Microwave for 30 seconds. Squish it around and microwave for another 30 seconds. Squish it around to make sure everything is completely melted. If not, do another 30 seconds and squish it.
- Cut a very small hole in the corner of the sandwich bag. Quickly drizzle the chocolate all over the completely cooled cookies.
- Let the chocolate harden and serve.
The theme this month is Caramel--any kind of caramel in any kind of cookie! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links. Please be patient though, as this month Laura is off to Italy and will not be checking email quite as often!
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Basement Brownies from Sidewalk Shoes
- Camel Milk Caramel Basbousa from Food Lust People Love
- Caramel Cashew Cookies from Our Good Life
- Caramel Coconut Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Caramel Shortbread Cookie Strips from Magnolia Days
- Caramel Thumbprint Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Caramelized White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies from Baking Yummies
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars from The Spiced Life
- Chocolate Caramel Rocks from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Walnut Caramel Stuffed Cookies from Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggless Vanilla-Caramel Biscotti from What Smells So Good?
- Millionaire Shortbread Bars from Spiceroots
- Salted Caramel Butter Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Salted Caramel Macarons from A Baker’s House
- Take 5 Caramel Oatmeal Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas