These Copycat 3 Musketeers or Cool Whip Candy are a simple 3 ingredient recipe! The candy is light, fluffy, and oh so chocolatey. It's the perfect candy to snack on when you want your chocolate fix! Keep the candies in the freezer for the perfect crunchy coating and chewy center.
There are so many types of candies you can make, from hard rock candy to german chocolate truffles. The best part is that homemade candies taste SO much better than anything you can buy in the store. That is definitely the case with these Copycat 3 Musketeers candies.
Three Musketeers candy is a fluffy, mousse-filled chocolate bar. They come in a silver wrapper and can be found in almost any grocery store. They are definitely a favorite candy of many people!
If you love Three Musketeers chocolate bars too, then you will go crazy for this super easy recipe.
Homemade 3 Musketeers Ingredients
To make homemade three Musketeers candy bars, you only need three ingredients. I know, I was surprised too! It is insane to think that something so delicious would be so simple. Here is what you will need to make your candies:
- Milk Chocolate Chips- Milk chocolate chips have the perfect flavor for the filling and they also melt very quickly thanks to the small size of the chips. Be sure to choose high quality chocolate chips. Since there are so few ingredients in the recipe, you will really be able to taste the quality of each ingredient.
- Cool Whip- I love using Cool Whip in this recipe because the fluffy whipped topping hold its shape well when blended with the milk chocolate chips. The fluffy, sweet taste and texture really makes these candy bars perfect.
- Almond Bark- Melted almond bark coats the outside of the candies. I love using almond bark because it melts very smooth and, once it cools and sets, it has the perfect sheen. Real chocolate needs to be tempered to have that smooth look and crunch but since almond bark is made with vegetable fats rather than cocoa butter, you can melt and cool it as many times as you’d like without ruining the taste and texture.
How To Make 3 Musketeers Candy
Just as the ingredients in these cool whip candies are simple, the steps to making the candy are pretty straightforward, too. Here is what you will need to do:
Step 1 - Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave until completely melted. Let it cool for about 20 minutes so it doesn't ruin the fluffy texture of the cool whip.
Step 2 - Fold in the cool whip until completely combined. No streaks of whipped topping or chocolate.
Step 3 - Scoop the chocolate mousse-like mixture into a greased and foil-lined 8x8 baking pan. Lightly grease a piece of wax paper and gently press the mixture down evenly into the bottom of the pan. Spreading the mixture with a spatula is nearly an impossible task.
Step 4 - Pop the pan in the freezer and let the filling set for about 30 minutes.
Step 5 - Pull the frozen candy out of the pan, pulling the foil up to remove the candy.
Step 6 - Use a sharp, greased knife to cut the filling into 36 small pieces. Place the cut candy back into the freezer to get even more firm.
Step 7 - Melt the almond bark in the microwave until smooth and creamy.
Step 8 - Toss the frozen candy into the bowl of almond bark and coat it. Slide a fork under the candy, pick it up, and gently tap off any excess chocolate. Slide the bottom half of the fork onto the edge of the bowl to remove the remaining excess chocolate.
Step 9 - Place the dipped candy on a clean piece of parchment paper to set.
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few ways you can tweak this copycat Three Musketeers recipe. Here are a few things I have tried that work well.
- Use dark chocolate chips in place of milk chocolate chips
- Use white chocolate chips rather than milk chocolate for a lighter, sweeter candy
- Dip the candies in melted candy melts rather than almond bark
- Use flavored Cool Whip. The cheesecake Cool Whip tastes especially great!
- Sprinkle the top of the candies with colored sprinkles to add some fun to the candy bars. Sprinkles will stick best immediately after the candies have been dipped and the almond bark is still soft.
- Stir in ¼ cup chopped nuts to the Cool whip and chocolate mix.
Let me know if you think of any great additions or substitutions for this candy recipe. I’m always looking for new, tasty treats to try!
Tips to Make Copycat 3 Musketeers
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect copycat 3 Musketeers.
Be sure your chocolate is not hot before mixing in the Cool Whip. It should be room temperature or cooler.
You may need to reheat the almond bark a few times as you dip the candy fillings. The cold candy pieces can cool the almond bark quickly and make it thick and hard to dip. Just pop it back in the microwave to reheat and remelt.
Be sure to spray the lined pan well. The filling is sticky and the spray will really help the candy filling lift out of the pan easily.
How to Store 3 Musketeers
Once you have dipped all of your 3 Musketeers candies, they should be stored in an airtight container in the freezer.
The filling is soft and the freezer will help it stay firm and fluffy. It will also preserve the candies for a long time. These candies can last in the freezer for up to three months! However, there is a very good chance you eat them all way before that.
Frequently Asked Questions
I always have questions about new recipes. I will try to answer all your questions in the comments below ASAP. However, here are a few frequently asked questions and answers that may also help you.
Yes, the candies should stay frozen. This will help the Cool Whip filling remain set and fresh.
If you prefer the candy softer, you can let it warm up a little bit before eating it. The filling will soften and if it's set out too long can lose the fluffiness.
Keep them frozen and you will have a perfect candy anytime you crave one!
You can double this recipe. Pour the filling into a 9x13 pan rather than an 8x8 pan. When dipping the filling, you may want to keep half of the cut candy fillings in the freezer while you dip, keeping them firm and chilled.
It can take time to dip that many candies! You don’t want half of them to get too soft while they wait to be dipped. Working in batches is a good idea.
Folding the Cool Whip and chocolate by hand is necessary. You want to fold the filling gently and not deflate the Cool Whip. A hand mixer will be too hard on the filling and the cool whip will sink, making the filling dense. It's not hard to fold by hand and you will be glad you did!
This homemade Cool Whip candy is definitely a real treat that everyone in your family will love.
More Candy Recipes
Homemade 3 Musketeers
- 2 bags (11.5 ounces each) milk chocolate chips
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 24 ounces almond bark
- In a large heat-proof bowl, add in all of the milk chocolate chips. Place in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment, until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has cooled, add the cool whip into the chocolate. Begin folding the chocolate into the cool whip until completely incorporated. The chocolate will begin to harden some, that’s normal and will get worked into the mixture.
- Line a 8 inch square pan with tin foil. Add a strip of parchment paper with a little overhang on top of the foil to be positive that the candy doesn’t stick. Lightly grease the foil and parchment paper, if you’re using it, with nonstick baking spray.
- Scoop the candy and place in the prepared pan.
- Using your hands or a lightly greased piece of wax paper or parchment paper, evenly press the candy down into the pan.
- Place in the freezer to firm up for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and pull the foil out of the pan. Cut the candies into 36 pieces.
- Place the candies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place back in the freezer to firm back up, an additional 30 minutes.
- Just before you pull the candy out of the freezer, prepare the almond bark.
- Break the almond bark into big pieces and place into a heat-proof bowl. Heat the almond bark in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment, until the almond bark is smooth and completely melted.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter for the dipped pieces of candy.
- Remove the candy from the freezer. Using a fork, dip each piece until coated with almond bark. Gently tap the fork on the side of the bowl and run the bottom of the fork on the side of the bowl to clean off any excess almond bark.
- Using a skewer, slide the candy off the fork and onto the parchment paper. If you’re adding sprinkles, do this now and quickly before the chocolate hardens.
- Repeat with all of the candies. If the almond bark cools down too much, pop it back in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining almond bark into a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Drizzle chocolate on the tops of the candies. Make sure the coating is set up first.
- Store in a freezer bag or freezer container in the freezer.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)