This Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is a homemade coffee cake that is filled with sweet chocolate morsels. The coffee cake has a delicious cinnamon crumble topping with additional chocolate chips sprinkled in. Pair with a warm cup of coffee or cut a slice for an afternoon dessert. This sour cream chocolate chip cake is absolutely delicious.
If you love coffee cake like me, I have a few more variations for you to try. Whip up this blueberry sour cream coffee cake for a change. Kid's will go nuts for this fruity pebbles coffee cake or my peanut butter jelly coffee cake.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
This chocolate chip coffee cake has a fantastic crumble topping. It's loaded with cinnamon, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and helps elevate the look of this coffee cake.
How to make Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Step 1: The first thing you will work on is the batter base for the chocolate chip coffee cake. First, grab a medium bowl and add the flour, baking powder, and salt to it. Whisk to combine.
Grab another large mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar to it. Using a hand mixer, beat until creamed.
Beat in the eggs one at a time and then beat in the sour cream and milk until combined.
Lastly, add in the dry ingredients and beat until the flour is just worked into the batter. Fold in the chocolate chips and then pour into your baking dish.
Step 2: Now you will work on your crumble topping which is really easy to make. Use a food processor to make quick work of it or a pastry blender.
Blend the butter, cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar with either the pastry blender or food processor until fine crumbs form.
Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the sour cream coffee cake and add the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips on top. Then bake accordingly until your coffee cake is fully cooked through.
Allow the chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake to cool for a little bit before slicing and serving it.
Storing Your Coffee Cake
You can store your coffee cake on the counter at room temperature or choose to place it in the refrigerator though it's not necessary. Either way, make sure it's sealed up tight with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
If you store it in the fridge you will find it stays fresher a few days longer. You can eat it cold or toss it in the microwave for a quick reheat for that fresh out of the oven flavor.
This easy chocolate chip coffee cake also freezes beautifully! I would recommend leaving it whole if you don't want to use it as a single-serve breakfast. Just allow your coffee cake to fully cool, and then place it in a freezer bag or freezer container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw on the counter or in the fridge overnight before serving.
Can this be made into a bundt cake?
You can make this coffee cake into a bundt cake. You will follow the same instructions when you mix it up. Just pour into a greased bundt pan.
The one thing to watch for is the cook time might vary as it is going to be a thicker cake. It will likely take quite a bit longer to bake through. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake where's the deepest. If it come out clean or with moist crumbs, it's done. If you have batter, let it bake longer.
If you are worried about your top over-browning after it's baked for a while, add aluminum foil on top. This will help shield the cake from becoming too dark.
Bake until the cake is fully cooked.
Check Out More Delicious Desserts
Desserts are my specialty! Here are a few more desserts to check out before you leave.
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Fudge
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Lasagna Dessert
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Layer Dessert
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch square pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add in the butter and sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium until creamed.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add in the milk and yogurt, and then mix again until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly into the wet ingredients as you continue to beat with the hand mixer until combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into your prepared dish and prepare the crumble topping.
- Add the butter, cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or food processor, blend until a fine crumble forms.
- Sprinkle the topping over the cake batter and top with the ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Best served warm, but still very good after cooled.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the coffee cake.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Leave a Reply