This Edible Cookie Dough recipe is a must-make dessert for all those cookie dough lovers out there. All the same flavors of a chocolate chip cookie dough, but without the egg! Grab that spoon and dive in or enjoy this creamy, chocolate chip studded dough as a dip!
Learn how to make edible cookie dough in no time. I have made this on countless occasions. It is such a treat to enjoy whether you are binging some Netflix, or just want a little sweet fix. Grab a spoon and enjoy!
Check out more cookie dough inspired recipes here: No Bake Monster Cookie Dough Cheesecake Pie, Salted Caramel Cookie Dough Cheesecake, Cookie Dough Cupcakes, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip.
Ingredients Needed For Edible Cookie Dough
(Get the full recipe at the bottom of the post)
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How to Heat Treat Flour
Heat-treating flour can be done easily and with either a microwave or oven. This is needed to kill any bad bacteria that your raw flour may be carrying.
To heat treat the all-purpose flour in the microwave, first, add the flour to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the flour in 30-second increments and stir after each increment. It should take about 1 minute, but it can vary depending on your microwave wattage. Repeat until the flour reaches 160 degrees F using an instant-read thermometer.
You'll notice the flour will start to stick to the sides of the bowl so be sure to scrape the sides down after each time in the microwave and after the flour is done being heat treated.
To heat treat your flour using the oven, first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place it in the oven and bake for about 5 to 7 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
Regardless of the method you use, allow the flour to cool to room temperature before adding it to the cookie dough recipe.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
1. Preheat your oven as directed. Then spread out your flour. And bake it until the flour reads 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. The full directions are below in the printable card. This is going to make the flour safe to eat.
2. Next allow the flour to cool. While flour is cooling, cream your butter and sugar together in a bowl.
3. Add in the salt and vanilla and continue to beat until the mixture is whipped well.
4. Add in the flour. Beat until a thick cookie dough comes together and the flour is completely incorporated. If you would like to have the dough a bit softer, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until it's the desired consistency.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge.
How long does Edible Cookie Dough last
Edible cookie dough will last around a week stored in the refrigerator. Or if you won't eat it all right away, then freeze some! You can freeze in a freezer container. Or make single servings and place in little containers. That way when you get a craving, just grab a container, let it thaw then enjoy.
Cookie Dough Variations
- Add in candy like M&M's, chopped candy bars, etc
- Coconut flakes
- Toffee bits
- Caramel bites
- Mix in some peanut butter to the cookie dough
- Quick Cooking Oats
You can indeed freeze the cookie dough. Just place in the proper freezer container and freeze for 3-4 months. Then when you want some, thaw in the fridge or on the counter for around 30 minutes or so.
Go right ahead and whip up this cookie dough by hand. The biggest thing is to really cream the sugar and butter together. This is going to give your cookie dough a nice creamy texture. So just use that elbow grease and whisk away.
Since there is no egg or leavening agents used, you will find this cookie dough would fall flat if you went to bake it in the oven. Baking this edible cookie dough is not recommended.
Some ideas that I can quickly think of would be a filling for a cake or for truffles. You can also mix it in no-churn ice cream, add a scoop to a s'mores dessert, top a cupcake with some cookie dough instead of frosting or on top of the frosting, or even in a milkshake.
The possibilities of how to enjoy this cookie dough are endless. You could even add some in with your morning yogurt if you wanted.
More Recipes You Might Like
Edible Cookie Dough
- 1 cup butter very soft but not melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour heat treated
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips semi-sweet chocolate chips will work as well
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the flour out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 5 to 7 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Beat in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Add in half of the flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the second half of the flour and continue to mix until the cookie dough comes together.
- Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Grab a spoon and serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
(Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.)
Get Dessert Recipes Delivered To Your Inbox
AND A BONUS FREE Baking Substitutions too!
Leave a Reply