Guinness cupcakes are the perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert! These Guinness chocolate cupcakes are topped with delicious fluffy Bailey’s cream cheese frosting and green sprinkles for a festive touch. This easy chocolate cupcakes recipe will give you the luck of the Irish!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day and to celebrate I made you some Guinness chocolate cupcakes with Baileys cream cheese frosting. Normally, I would have jumped on the train with loads of green and rainbow themed desserts and such, but I’ve been running a little behind. I’m trying to get into a new routine and I feel like it’s sucking the life out of me.
Here’s a fun fact. Up until last year when I did a roundup on buzzfeed and wrote “St. Patty’s Day”, I did not know that that is wrong and it really upsets people. I was never, ever taught to write St. Paddy’s Day, but trust me that’s the correct way. Lesson learned on that one.
How to Make Guinness Cupcakes
I love these rich chocolate cupcakes. They use an entire bottle of Guinness beer. It kind of annoys me (I’m known to do it in my recipes though 🙁 ) to only use a cup of beer and then the rest either goes to waste or you have to down it. Here’s the thing though; the beer needs to be at room temperature and warm beer is never a good thing. If you think warm Coke is bad, it’s nothing like a warm beer.
Whew, I got a little off subject. I was saying I love these Guinness chocolate cupcakes. They’re so soft and spongy. They’re packed full of chocolate and boozy flavor. Maybe it’s more of a boozy aroma than flavor, but the addition of beer definitely adds another depth of flavor. Then you have the Bailey’s cream cheese frosting. It’s so thick and creamy. It pipes perfectly and it tastes perfect.
I felt that the cupcakes were a little plain jane, so I dolled them up with green nonpareils. I searched through huge tubs of sprinkles to find these. I was originally looking for a chocolate sprinkle, but these were even better. I just love how they made the cupcakes just a little bit fancier. Sometimes, it doesn’t take much to put a cupcake over the top.
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes Recipe
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Cream Cheese FrostingPrint Pin It Rate
- 4 oz . cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 T . Baileys Irish Creme
- green nonpareils for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place your cupcake liners into your cupcake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add in the beer, vegetable oil, beaten eggs, vanilla bean paste and sour cream. Whisk until it comes together and is smooth. If you don't have vanilla bean paste, you can use the same amount of extract. It should use one full beer.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to get most or all of the lumps out. My batter still had a few lumps in it that I couldn't get out. Be sure to scrape the edges and incorporate all of the flour.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners with an ice cream scoop. I filled my liners 3/4 full. The batter will be runny.
- Place into the prepared oven and let bake for 17 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick into the center of the cupcake and if it comes out with moist crumbs or clean, they're done.
- Let cool completely and start working on the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the cream cheese and butter. Mix until light and fluffy. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar and Baileys and mix until incorporated. Turn the mixer on high and beat for another 2 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
- Add the frosting into a piping bag with a straight tip and pipe swirls on the cooled cupcakes.
- Add the nonpareils to the frosting.
If you love the Guinness cupcakes recipe, be sure to try these St. Patrick’s Day recipes, too:
Do you have any St. Patrick’s Day traditions? Do you wear green to avoid being pinched?