This Easy Banana Cake is made with cake mix and topped with a buttery chocolate frosting. This banana cake is loaded with real banana flavor in every single bite.
Banana cake with cake mix is not only easy, but it could easily become your new favorite dessert.
Banana Cake with Cake Mix
Grab those ripe bananas and a boxed cake mix, and let’s get to baking. This recipe is crazy simple, and your family and kids will eat every single crumb of this delicious cake.
What Are The Best Bananas To use For Baking
You will want to reach for speckled brown bananas when it comes to baking. If you don’t use ripe bananas you will find that the banana flavor will be minimal and lacking.
So reaching for those soon to be overripe bananas are key. Plus you can even buy discounted bananas at some grocery stores when they are close to being expired.
You can use Frozen Bananas too
Do you throw your overripe bananas in the freezer? If you don’t, you should!
You can use bananas that have been frozen for this banana cake recipe. You’ll need to let them thaw first, but they won’t need mashed because they’ll already be the perfect mushy consistency.
How To Brown Bananas Fast
One trick you can do is the oven trick. Turn your oven on to 300 degrees. Place your underripe bananas on a baking sheet and bake for 15-30 minutes or until the peels turn black.
Remove from the oven and allow the bananas to cool for around 10 minutes before you peel and use in your recipe.
This helps create that strong banana flavor you are looking for when it comes to baking with bananas.
Can I Use A White Cake Mix Instead
Sure, I love the way yellow pairs with banana but feel free to honestly swap with the white cake if you would prefer. I have done both methods and honestly either works great.
Want More Tasty Banana Recipes
- Banana Foster Cinnamon Rolls | Change up your classic cinnamon roll recipe with this banana foster roll. Tender, fluffy and full of banana flavor.
- Mini Banana Cream Pies | Fresh banana, homemade banana pudding, whipped cream, and a shortbread shell.
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread | This banana bread takes the chocolate and banana combo. Loads of flavor, great for breakfast or dessert.
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies |The cookies are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside!
Can I Use Store Bought Frosting
Of course, if you are not wanting to make homemade chocolate frosting feel free to buy store-bought. You can do any flavor of frosting. We prefer chocolate with the banana but even vanilla would be a great pairing.
Can You Freeze Banana Cake
Yes, this banana cake recipe freezes nicely. Just let your cake fully cool and then stick in the freezer in an airtight container. It will store for up to three months.
Thaw on the counter or in the fridge overnight. This makes for a quick and easy snack when you got the craving for cake.
Banana Cake with Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the peeled bananas to a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add oil (or 1 stick of butter melted), eggs, and vanilla. Using a whisk, mix until combined.
- Add in the yellow cake mix until whisk until all ingredients are blended together.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter and cocoa powder. Beat with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream and continue to beat until combined. You may add additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to get the desired consistency of frosting.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake with an offset spatula.
- Cut and serve.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up to get my FREE Baking Substitutions and Conversions sheets! Join the 5000 others who are receiving our dessert newsletters and baking challenges.