It’s been such a while since I made a pup treat for the blog, but my Sammy is getting old and I want to spoil him as much as I can. He has taken a liking to peanut butter and was actually nagging for one of these apple peanut butter dognuts. Dognuts, get it? Donuts that are for dogs. hehe. It’s probably been thought of before, but I’m going to be proud and act as if it was my clever brain that first thought it up.
So, I don’t know if you know this but I’m really passionate about dogs and kitties. I once (recently) got into an argument with someone on Facebook because he was irritated that people referred to themselves as mother’s on Mother’s Day when they had fur babies and not actual babies. I’m also known to donate goods, money, and baked goods to sell to the local humane society. I can’t help it, I just have such a ginormous love for animals and want to help as much as I can.
When I saw Beneful was looking for people to spread the word about the Beneful Dream Dog Park Project, I immediately jumped at the request. They’re working with GoFundMe to raise awareness and to get you dog lovers to start campaigns to help update and create new dog parks. Once a month they’ll spotlight one of the campaigns on their website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram which will put more eyes on your campaign. More eyes = more funds! The website will also give you information on how to get started with a new dog park or renovating an old park.
Okay, so if that isn’t your jam and you don’t want to do a GoFundMe campaign, there’s another thing you can do to get involved. You can share a photo of your dog at a local dog park OR just a link to the Dream Dog Park Project and tag @Beneful and add the hashtag #DreamDogPark. They’ll be donating $1 for every social share (up to $50,000) to the Dream Dog Park Projects. That means get sharing!
These dognuts are slightly sweetened with honey, but I don’t really recommend them for humans. I mean, they’re safe to eat just probably a little bland and mehhh. As they bake up in the oven, they smell amazing though. If you want to get in on some apple and peanut butter human treats, try this apple peanut butter crumble.
Apple Peanut Butter Dognuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. The donuts will stick slightly but can be removed with a skewer. If you don't want to mess with that, lightly flour the donut pan with the whote wheat flour. Tap off any excess. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the vegetable oil, peanut butter, apple sauce and honey. Stir with a spatula until the peanut butter is incorporated. It will look slightly broken because of all of the applesauce.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Place the batter into a disposable piping bag or large storage bag. Cut the tip or corner of the bag.
- Pipe the batter into the donut pans. Don't overfill your pans.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes or until done. The edges will be slightly golden and the donuts will feel firm when you press down on them.
- Remove from the oven and place them on a paper towel. Let cool for about 10 minutes. I removed them from the pan with the help of a skewer. I did not flour my pan.
- Let cool completely and prepare your peanut butter drizzle.
- Place the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in a sandwich bag and microwave for 20 seconds. This will slightly soften the peanut butter so it's easier to pipe. Cut a very small hole into the sandwich bag.
- Move your hand back and forth over top of each dognut using even pressure. Remove any extra peanut butter hanging in the center of your dognut with the skewer or your finger will work too. The drizzle will not harden, so it can be a little messy depending on how you store them.
Having dogs and getting out to play with them is a great way to get exercise for both of you! Plus, socializing your dog is never a bad thing. I feel like our black dog, Alli, started to come out of her shell more once we got her out into the world and around other dogs. She barks less and is actually anxious to see other people and give them love. These are just a couple great reasons to get your pups out to the local dog park!
Lastly, I’ve got a Dream Dog Park Giveaway Package for you from Beneful. See the picture above for all the goodies. Coupons for free food, frisbee, balls, poop bags and cute carrier, leash, and a bag to carry it all in. You can enter to win three different times. Here’s how!
1. Follow Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt on Instagram. Come back here and leave me a comment telling me your username that you followed me with.
2. Follow Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt on Pinterest. Come back here and leave a comment telling me your username that you followed me with.
3. Share a post on a social media of your choice linking to the Beneful Dream Dog Park website and tagging @Beneful with the hashtag #DreamDogPark. Add a photo of your pups outside or at a dog park, if you have one. Come back here and comment with the link of the share.
Be sure to leave a comment for each of the three tasks so each one is counted separately. This giveaway will go for two weeks. It’s open to U.S. residents only. I’ll email the winner and announce the winner here! Good luck!